Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Build the Better Burger

Last post Fri, Jul 31 2009 11:51 PM by MarthaMFI. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 30 2009 3:18 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Build the Better Burger

Are you like me, staring at your puny little ...can that even be called a burger?

Take a peek at next week's article with 10 tips to building a better burger!

I feel better about summer grilling already! There is still some time left, are you ready to head out to the grill? Tell us about your own burger cooking experiences, what do you cook on, what ingredients do you add, do you follow any of these tips?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Jul 30 2009 3:26 PM In reply to

Re: Build the Better Burger

Good article! We use an 85/15 blend for making hamburger patties if using ground beef. I like to add 1/4 packet of dry onion soup mix to a 1 lb of ground beef (too much makes it salty) for a nice flavor.

If we make turkey burgers, I add a beaten egg and 1/4 cup bread crumbs per lb of meat to help it all stick together. I add 1 TB of mustard to my turkey burgers for a bit of flavor.

I like swiss, cheddar or american cheese on my beef patties and swiss or pepperjack on my turkey burgers. I also love lots of tomato, pickles, onion and lettuce! Yum!

Erika
  • Thu, Jul 30 2009 3:29 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I am blessed got a bil who love to grill  he will wear a winter coat in below zero  and that man will grill  mention burgers and he on go ..

I can fry them or oven bake them but my Family loves grills and he loves it .

I make a really nice hamburger but the family likes grill burgers

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Thu, Jul 30 2009 9:18 PM In reply to

I like burgers best when DH grills them. They just aren't the same cooked in a grill pan inside. We use whatever hamburger I have pulled out (minimum 85% lean). I add salt, pepper and dried minced onions. We aren't big on toppings, just the usual condiments and occasionally cheese. But we have veggies on the side.

Jill

• Fri, Jul 31 2009 12:09 AM In reply to

i used to cook burgers that either I shaped or that Mom shaped. These days I keep frozen Bubba Burgers in the freezer.

I picked up the phone one day and called someone at Harris Teeter for advice on frozen burgers. He went through Management training at Harris Teeter and he was in charge of the Meat and Seafood Departments before he went back to being the Seafood Manager.

He told me about HT Naturals Frozen Burgers and Bubba Burgers.

Bubba Burgers cost less than HT Naturals. They also taste better. You get a $1.00 off coupon if you call the 800 number on the box of Bubbas. The lady at Bubba always sends me a bunch of coupons. You gotta love someone like that !

I buy ground beef once in a while to make things like meatloaf.

I do not have a grill. Don't get me wrong, I do like grilled burgers.

I top my burgers with sauteed Vidalia onions or with cheese.

Every once in a while I go to Red Robin with my friend for a burger. Right now my favorite Red Robin burger has chili on it.

• Fri, Jul 31 2009 12:35 AM In reply to

i'm really lazy on this one!  i have a friend who works for a meat/seafood wholesaler, and they have "office sales" occasionally.  i bought a case of black angus chuck burgers, about 5oz each, 10lb for $35.  they taste remarkably like bubba burgers, also ground chuck, but bubba burgers cost....hmmmm....it's in this sale flyer....$6.50 for 2lbs.  what a coincidence!

• Fri, Jul 31 2009 8:53 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

At our house, my husband usually makes the burgers. He adds salt and pepper to them and we do enjoy them. He and the kids add cheese and ketchup only.

We don't have an outside grill currently so we use an electric grill inside or a cast iron grill on the stove to cook burgers. I miss the ones we used to make on a charcoal grill.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Fri, Jul 31 2009 10:30 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

my guys love burgers so I can make them as often as 4 times a week!     personally I like lots of flavour so I buy different ones like prime rib, bbq, sirloin, blue cheese..so many types!   have double cheese with bacon burgers in the freezer to try.

if I make homemade burgers I add onion soup mix,some ketchup etc.  we like cheese, condiments, onions etc on burgers. guys not big on veggies like tomatoes.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Fri, Jul 31 2009 11:48 PM In reply to

I went to a local chain burger place yesterday. My order got messed up & I was served a burger with lettuce, tomato, mayo, american cheese, black olives.....AND... (drum roll please)... Peanut Butter

It was so gross!!!!!

A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Fri, Jul 31 2009 11:51 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

they offer pb as a topping?  I have been to burger places that had exotic things but not that!

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us