Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Steam cleaners

Last post Fri, Jul 31 2009 10:14 PM by LWolfT. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 30 2009 12:32 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Steam cleaners

Do you own a steam cleaner? They're supposed to be good for a lot of things, but can they replace traditional cleaning products? And the question that's most important to me... are they frugal? Can you save money by using them? 

This article coming up in next week's Dollar Stretcher, Cleaning with Steam, doesn't mention that, so I'm curious. 

Do you think they're great, so-so, or unnecessary?

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Thu, Jul 30 2009 12:49 PM In reply to

Re: Steam cleaners

I have a first-generation Shark steam mop that I would NOT recommend for anyone. To be fair, it does a great job cleaning, even better than cleaners. If you have textured floors it works better than anything else at getting at the dirt in the depressions. But the water tank is too small, the cord is too short, it requires a lot of shoulder strength to push it on my hardwood floors (it drags when the pad is wet) and if you're a klutz like me you have to be careful not to burn yourself. Otherwise it's great Big Smile

I noticed the new, improved version they're advertising has a bigger water tank, a longer cord and pads that can be changed out for different needs. Sad

Jill

• Thu, Jul 30 2009 9:42 PM In reply to

I just purchased a Shark steamcleaner and I love it. It holds 8 oz of water, which was enough to do nearly my entire kitchen. I'm ashamed to admit it had gotten pretty grungy so in normal circumstances it probably would have been more than enough.

I'm kicking myself for not buying one earlier, but since jillibean isn't happy with her model, maybe it's a good thing I waited.

Joey, Priss & Jackson's Granny (and now baby Travis too!)
  • Thu, Jul 30 2009 10:05 PM In reply to

I have a Mccolluch (sp?) vapor steamer and I LOVE it.  It was in the neighborhood of $150.

How frugal they are depends upon how pricey the cleaners you have been buying are.  Their kilowatt pull is about that of an electric space heater on high.  I still have to keep some cleaners for last minute company notices as it takes 15 minutes to heat up the vapor steamer - if I didn't have 3 boys and a hubby who loves the guest bathroom I probably would not do that.  I do prefer the vapor steamer because it leaves my house smelling fresh (like after a rain) rather than artificial, chemical smells.  I like that fact that it blows gunk out of cracks that cleaners and rags don't even begin to touch.  

I have been burned a couple times but it is not that big of an issue.  You really have to get up and close to the business end to get the really hot steam.  

This is not a traditional use but I had a child get sick in the winter and the dr ordered humidity.  Now, I have a lovely humidifier but it does take a while to pump up the humidity here.  I filled up the ole vapor steamer and let it loose upstairs.  Within minutes the humidity was up and the child was comfy.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Fri, Jul 31 2009 12:55 PM In reply to

I have thought of getting one.

I honestly don't know why I haven't gotten one yet. Maybe I've been afraid it wouldn't last.

While I'm not real happy with it, I do have a Swiffer. I'm worried about the chemicals hurting Aurora. Sure, I complain about my furry roommate, but I adore her. I'd be lost without her.

I own an Oreck upright vaccum cleaner. Mom and I saw  them being used at The Greenbrier. Sure, it's not cheap, but it is a great piece of equipment.

• Fri, Jul 31 2009 1:09 PM In reply to

I bought my Shark floor steam cleaner in August 2008 and have been happy with how well it cleans. I do agree with Jillibean's comments that the cord is too, too short. I have to unplug and replug in different areas. If it had a cord as long as a vacuum, it would be better for me. The tank size is just right. If I just do the kitchen floors, I have to pour out water. I like the reusable pads. Mine came with 2 so I can switch out and keep cleaning and then throw in the wash with my other kitchen laundry.

It uses no chemicals (I have 2 small boys and a dog so careful on chemicals), really cleans well and is good on tile and wood floors (what I have in my house). It leaves a fresh scent of steamy water, not perfumy or chemically like cleaners. It takes only 30-45 seconds to start the steam working so I plug it in, move my kitchen chairs to another room and by the time I'm done with that, I'm ready to clean. I feel that it is very light weight. Until the pad gets really damp, it is a bit harder to do the push and pull action. But after a while, it's fine. I've not been burned but I read the booklet that you need to unplug the unit, wait several minutes and then remove the pads. Otherwise, I think you could get burned.

My Shark cost $79 but I also had a 20% off coupon at Bed, Bath & Beyond. I think it was a good buy.

Erika
  • Fri, Jul 31 2009 9:35 PM In reply to

• happy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 29 2007
    • Posts 134

What type of flooring is everyone using them on? Is it safe on sealed, solid hardwood?

I think they are a great option, hardwood tends to streak unless you use the expensive cleaner or wash/dry by hand. I would love to say I am that dedicated but I am not.

• Fri, Jul 31 2009 10:14 PM In reply to

I have an inexpensive steam floor cleaner that I use on my kitchen linoleum ..(purchaed at Bed, Bath & Beyond). it does work better than using cleaners, which tend to leave my floors sticky. Admittedly, my kitchen floor is not in the best of shape, so I'm not sure anything would clean it to look like new!

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us