Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Basement floor problems

Last post Tue, Jun 30 2009 4:22 PM by Gary. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 30 2009 3:32 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Basement floor problems

From a reader: 

I have a basement floor that is 20 years old. it has never been painted. it has developed some cracks. during spring rains you can see some moisture coming through the cracks. It also has some oil on it from storing a lawn mower. How do I repair the cracks? How do I prepair for painting? what type paint would be recommended? Is priming required?

Does anyone have advice for him? 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Tue, Jun 30 2009 3:58 PM In reply to

Re: Basement floor problems

Pat:

From a reader: 

I have a basement floor that is 20 years old. it has never been painted. it has developed some cracks. during spring rains you can see some moisture coming through the cracks. It also has some oil on it from storing a lawn mower. How do I repair the cracks? How do I prepair for painting? what type paint would be recommended? Is priming required?

Does anyone have advice for him? 

Unfortunately, he needs to call a professional; that type of damage to the slab suggests, at least potentially, similar damage to the foundation.  There are some cement sealing products he could use - I used one on my driveway to good effect - but the risk to his foundation is too high for a do-it-yourself quick fix to be appropriate in this situation.

Once the damage has been assessed and repaired, the best paint to use would be garage floor paint/sealer; it is designed for cement surfaces, and repels moisture.  Having used it myself, I can say that it's very easy to paint a floor with a roller as long as the surface is clean and smooth.

• Tue, Jun 30 2009 4:18 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 4 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

karenteacher:
    Unfortunately, he needs to call a professional; that type of damage to the slab suggests, at least potentially, similar damage to the foundation. 
    I concur. That foundation needs to be properly repaired and foundation is nothing to mess with.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Tue, Jun 30 2009 4:22 PM In reply to

• Gary
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Posts 412

Karen makes a good point. If it's beyond a typical aging surface crack, it would be wise to have a professional check out the foundation for his home.

The painting isn't hard. I would do a thorough washing to remove any oils from the floor. TSP should do the trick. A good, stiff bristle broom helps, too. (at least that's what we used nightly when I worked at a service station years ago).

Floor painting is a great DIY job. The biggest problem is getting all that stuff (boxes, not stains) off of the floor!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us