Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

We Live On Less than $800/Month

Last post Mon, Aug 24 2009 10:02 AM by thyme2save. 20 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 17 2009 1:18 PM In reply to

Re: We Live On Less than $800/Month

Great work!  Thongs from the thrift store are a great idea--kids tear them up, lose them, or often prefer to go barefoot.

• Wed, Jun 24 2009 10:34 AM In reply to

• jmnyva2
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 29 2007
    • Posts 53

All I can say is WOW   you are truly living like no one else! Big Smile

You are walking, living proof that we all can live on less if we put our mines to it.  

It's funny I always considered DH & my lifestyle frugal but I really didn't know what frugal truly was till I started reading forums like DS & such. 

I think that people whether they have plenty of funds or they have none in todays economy are smart to adopt frugal ways as none of us really know what tomorrow will bring!  As a recent widow I have been going over my finances with a fine toothcomb & I am lucky that my DH did the right things & I'll be ok as long as I continue on living with a frugal mine set!

Since I'll be 60yrs old in 10days & stopped working when I was 49 to become DH's 24/7 caregiver I'm so thankful that it looks like I won't have to start job hunting if  I behave myself financially.  Not that if I had to it would be the end of the world but it just goes to prove that adopting a frugal livestyle has lots of benefits.

Keep up the good work & I hope you have the best vacation ever   you have more then earned it! Wink 

Jill

• Sun, Jul 12 2009 9:48 PM In reply to

Great work! Please continue to share your tips and ideas on saving and living on less. Thanks so much! Big Smile

• Sun, Jul 12 2009 11:03 PM In reply to

hello frugalchef,

I do pretty much like you do Im 47 and since I was born mom had me in secound hand clothes even worn my brothers stuff Im the secound to the oldest in my family I live less then 550.00 permonth of forced re-tired I earned close to 2000.00 way back in the eighties now the kick in the teeth I could still be running my bussines nope its your health or dead thats how come my docter put me in re-tirement so I live less on four hounded but some how I always make it cool us frugal people ARE SO Cool.... :)

• Mon, Jul 27 2009 10:35 PM In reply to

Wow! You are doing great. Enjoy your hard earned vacation!Smile

~Living frugally at the edge of the forest ~
  • Wed, Aug 5 2009 12:58 PM In reply to

I applaud you for your savings. What concerns me is that you have a car but refuse to use it, instead hitching rides with friends and neighbors. That is fine as long as they dont mind you using their gas and their time. Wish I had neighbors like that!!  I personally would be embarrassed to ask for rides when I have a running car sitting there but not using it because I refuse to buy gas.Embarrassed  Good luck with your future savings to take future vacations........So I suppose you will take the $500 savings you pocketed and perhaps fill the car with gas for your vacation??

• Wed, Aug 19 2009 10:31 PM In reply to

Congrads on the vacation. I have been working hard on saving $$ and cutting costs on everything.

I use the thrift & yard sales for years now hit the local Dollar stores to save more as well. 

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• Sun, Aug 23 2009 6:58 PM In reply to

• mulewagon
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 23 2008
    • Alabama
    • Posts 43

Less than $800/mo, with kids?  Wow!  I hope you post more about the details!

Be sure to suspend the insurance if you aren't using the car for a while (and then remember to reinstate it when you start up again!)  That's the big reason I like Geico, I can can call them up and start/stop insurance any time.

Valerie

Cooking Sharp - Rada Kitchen Knives

• Sun, Aug 23 2009 11:16 PM In reply to

I've read this claim on other forums. Never any follow-up. How does a parent care for children's medical needs on $800 monthly? Mmmmm..... Dental care?

thyme2save
  • Mon, Aug 24 2009 7:07 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

We could not live on $800 in my town or state. You would have to get food stamps and medical care free from state programs. My Mom only has $1100. a month. She only pays $300 for housing needs, has no car, state pays most of her medicine costs. She could not pay full rental prices or med prices. It would not be easy Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
Page 2 of 3 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us