Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Ethnic Grocery Stores Yield Cheap Groceries

Last post Tue, Jun 16 2009 8:48 AM by jillibean. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 14 2009 9:39 AM

• fifi
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 14 2009
    • Raleigh, NC
    • Posts 4

Ethnic Grocery Stores Yield Cheap Groceries

One thing I've learned my last year on food stamps, and trying to eat delicious food, is that many ethnic markets are extremely affordable and take food stamps. For instance, my local Chinese and Indian stores offer spices, of a better quality than say the ones at Big Lots, the dollar stores, etc for chump change. My fiance drinks a lot of espresso and we buy 1 lb bricks of it for like $2-3 bucks at the Mexican stores. You have to be adventurous and broad-minded, as sometimes you might have a language barrier, but trust me, besides the bargains you can find some pretty cool stuff.
    Filed under: ,
  • Sun, Jun 14 2009 9:50 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Re: Ethnic Grocery Stores Yield Cheap Groceries

I love the Latino store here in two the people who own it are friends  I get amazing prices on fresh veggie.. and she or her husband is always will to tell me what to use for certain things ..  Lately I been paying my fresh wraps and taco there they are outstanding ...got a great deal on pinto beans  , and she turned me on to really red beans and rice that my Family gone nuts for.

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Mon, Jun 15 2009 3:35 PM In reply to

• joha
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, May 5 2008
    • Posts 129

fifi:
    One thing I've learned my last year on food stamps, and trying to eat delicious food, is that many ethnic markets are extremely affordable and take food stamps. For instance, my local Chinese and Indian stores offer spices, of a better quality than say the ones at Big Lots, the dollar stores, etc for chump change. My fiance drinks a lot of espresso and we buy 1 lb bricks of it for like $2-3 bucks at the Mexican stores. You have to be adventurous and broad-minded, as sometimes you might have a language barrier, but trust me, besides the bargains you can find some pretty cool stuff.

That's right!  One can also get great advice on how to cook with new ingredients. People will go out of the way to help you, I like shopping and supporting these stores.

• Tue, Jun 16 2009 8:48 AM In reply to

If you don't have any ethnic food stores near you, you can also check out the ethnic foods at your local grocery store.

Jill

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us