Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Cashier Etiquette/Protocol

Last post 10-06-2009 12:20 PM by tweetygirl292. 18 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-14-2009 4:39 PM In reply to

Re: Cashier Etiquette/Protocol

Dear Susie, I think that --overall -- Momma of 3 had the besat solution for you.  Just flash your EBT card before the cashier's eyes, & ask, "Do you take this here?"  Tahn, she''ll know that it's EBT.  DOn't you have to key in your PIN?  Right before that, three will be a choice on the keypad of FOOD/cash/other for you to choose amooong, in my experience.  Yours in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• 06-14-2009 6:21 PM In reply to

Just wanted to put this out there in case it helps.   I work at Walmart, and the system there is set up so that the cashier has to press Credit or Debit on their side, and EBT has no separate button, but runs through as Debit.  So in our stores, you can say Debit to the cashier, and that's all they need to know.  Maybe ask at your store if the process is similar?  If the cashier just needs to press Debit for EBT, you can just say that. 

Personally, that's what I liked about the system at the grocery store I worked at years ago, Pathmark.  There was one button that simply turned the transaction over to the Verifone machine, and cashiers didn't need to know anything about the customers method of payment unless the customer needed assistance using the machine. 

Kris in VA
  • 07-05-2009 5:29 AM In reply to

missapril_piano:

EBT stands for electronic bank transfer. It does not mean foodstamps. The foodstamp program is not the only entity to use that technology.

The Fresno County web site states that EBT stands for (Electronic Benefit Transfer)

http://www.co.fresno.ca.us/DepartmentPage.aspx?id=13797

Food Stamp Benefits are no longer issued as coupons. Now you shop for your family's nutritional needs with an EBT card (Electronic Benefit Transfer). This electronic card is used like a debit card, making the distribution of Federal Food Stamp benefits faster and easier.
  • 07-05-2009 9:00 AM In reply to

Dear All, I just want to explain that my SNAP/Food Stamps EBT card has become demagnetized 3x.  The 1st 2 times, I got a new one -- it came in 2 days, so that wasn't too baad, but I was concerned when I didn't have it.  This time, I have not asked for a replacement.  The clerks are quite willing to key in teh numbers.  I have never had any problem.  I do have to state that it is a Food Stamps EBT card so that the clerk can key it in properly.  This is why, for me, I know that in San Francisco theer isn't any stigma with announcing that I use FOod Stamps.  I always apologize to the people behind me in line, & I uniformly get a "No worries" response.  (If someone has a smallll transaction, I always invite him/her to precede me.)  Yours in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• 07-05-2009 9:29 AM In reply to

• karen kay
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-02-2008
    • Easter United States
    • Posts 347

Deborahmichelle:
    (If someone has a smallll transaction, I always invite him/her to precede me.)  Yours in Him, Deb
    that is a courtesy that is becoming very rare,  so nice someone does that.  if i tell someone behind me they can go ahead,  they kinda look at you like "are you serious"  Sometimes you get a thank you and sometimes not.  just like letting people ahead of you in a traffic line.  i do that all the time..  and so far i have been lucky that people let me in line.   its really embarrassing sitting in line to get out at mcdonalds with an ice cream cone in your hand -melting- and you're trying to look a little decent licking the cone so it wont go all over.  that's when i'm really thankful to be let in line.Embarrassed

Starry Night
  • 09-01-2009 6:55 PM In reply to

Life isn't perfect. Someone can always look over your shoulder and see that it's a food stamps EBT card.  You can't have a perfect system.  The cards cut down on people selling theri food stamps and other types of fraud.  It's also more efficent to use a card than fragile paper stamps.

When I worked food stamps, a client saw me using my debit card in a grocery store and said she didn't know caseworkers can get food stamps too.  Yes, they can, if they have enough people in their housesholds.

But I was using my checking account debit card and it was none of her business.

Grocery stores have signs at the front about food stamps, and they almost always take them.  So why even mention it to the cashier.

Furthermore, if you are using a food stamp EBT card, it might not even be for yourself.  You might be someone else's authorized representative.

For that matter, it's nobody's business what you buy with that card.  If you want to buy candy or steaks, that's your business.  Food stamps bring choice.  The cashier has no business commenting on what you buy nor does the person behind you.

• 09-22-2009 10:51 AM In reply to

Thanks again for all your replies. The main store I shop in has the EBT thing to press so no problem. However, some other store clerks ask "Credit or debit" and I am forced to say EBT. Then they will say "Oh, food stamps" out loud for everyone to hear. Sometimes I wonder if they do that deliberately. If I say "debit" they say this isn't debit, you have to say food stamps. They're just insensitive and it's gotten to the point where if I don't know the people on line, I don't care. There is no such thing as courtesy in a lot of markets, the people who work there curse like crazy. Years ago, you'd lose your job...not to mention the cashiers texting and being on their cell phone the whole time they're working. Sigh, I am getting old!
  • 10-06-2009 5:04 AM In reply to

I don't think they are trying to embarass you when they holler, "Oh, food stamps!"  That's just he common term for it.

A few hours ago, I bought something in Tom Thumb (Safeway).  There was no optio on the little electronic screen for cash.  So I had to ask the cashier.  Oh, don't worry about, just give the cashier the cash.

But, yeah, customer service is horrid these days, especially at THE current big national chain.

Recently, I went in the back of a Minyard's, a Dallas local chain, to use the restroom.  An employee was trying to direct me to the restroom.

I was reading the Minyard cell phone policy.  No cell phone use while on duty, and that includes lunch or break (meaning inside the store.)  Employees may only use their cell phones OUTSIDE the store.

Gosh, I love Minyard's.  I always get customer service in there.

Regrettably, the BIG national chain put the Minyard's closest to me out of business.

Now, a Texas ethnic grocery store is moving in where Minyard's was, so there will be some competition for THE BIGGIE again.

The BIGGIE, and you know who I mean, is really socking in the dough on that corner and has a very poorly maintained store.  They restock huge amounts of groceries at night, but there is no space between the aisles and it's always dirty.

All the other merchants on that corner are always hearing gripes about the non-customer service in THE BIGGIE.

Yeah, I have to shop at THE BIGGIE for their bargains some times, but I also try to patronize the others as well.

Back to FS/SNAP retailer conduct, it's also inappropriate for the cashiers to tell you don't have to buy brand names, that you can also buy generics with your benefits.

Of course, in the true meaning of customer service, it's okay for them to tell you that they have some marvy deal that you might have missed.

Once again, it is impossible to keep totally secret that you are using FS/SNAP.

When I worked FS, I heard about somebody calling in a complaint with a license plate number for a woman in an expensive car using food stamps.  They tracked her down.  She was a congressman's wife acting as authorized representative for another person.

• 10-06-2009 12:20 PM In reply to

i was born in mn.... and used ebt and now i am in sd... and use it too.... i guess me telling them out loud   doesnt bother me at all... i guess i think that i am not the first and will be not the last.... and i dont care for the stares i get ....they can just stick there high horse nose wear the sun dont shine ..... some people arent better then everyone else.. we are all together in the same boat...... ok i am off mymilk crate

Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us