Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Where are You on the Frugal Scale?

Last post Mon, Dec 2 2013 3:33 PM by ann. 47 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (48 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 12 2009 3:48 PM

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Where are You on the Frugal Scale?

If #1 is Not Frugal and #10 is Frugal Nirvana - Where do you stand on the Frugal Scale? Are you happy with where you are? Do you strive to be better? Or just frugal enough to get through tough times? Do you practice frugality in all areas? or in a select few areas? Would friends and family agree with your assessment? For the record I feel I'm at a #5. There is a lot more we could cut back on if forced into a corner. Our knowledge and skill about what we would have to do has improved significantly.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Fri, Jun 12 2009 3:59 PM In reply to

• Newfs
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 15 2009
    • MA
    • Posts 386

Re: Where are You on the Frugal Scale?

I would say I am a 7 on the frugal scale. Owniing a home, my only income is what I make, I tend to go without and opt to save my money instead. Every week between 30-50% of my paycheck goes directly into savings. No cell phone, no cable TV, no extra's on the landline. I do eat well, and it really doesn't matter the cost of any particular food is, if I want it, I buy it. I don't take vacations. I just work and come home, which I enjoy. I love spending time in my yard and garden. The only place I guess I could do better on frugally is my grocery shopping, but not being frugal in that area for me is a choice I made.

Until we Newf again....
  • Fri, Jun 12 2009 4:31 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

I'd guess maybe 6.  I know I could do better but for comfort and emotional sake I don't.  I do like to enjoy life to some small degree.  Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Fri, Jun 12 2009 4:39 PM In reply to

I thought this was a weight chart soo ok at #7 at least this is a relief insite at last.

chrissanne
  • Fri, Jun 12 2009 5:14 PM In reply to

Hmmmm. Well... I think we would be between a 5-6. We're striving to do better.

SAHM to 2 toddlers and 2 cats! Happily married to my soul mate! How could life get any better!?!
  • Fri, Jun 12 2009 5:22 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

at times I tell you I am at least an 8 or so then I read something here and I am a 1 1/2 or two so I guess I am a 7 ...

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Fri, Jun 12 2009 10:14 PM In reply to

I'm probably about a 6.  I like to get value for my money and dislike waste, but I'm not a penny pincher.  Our home and vehicles are modest, but we have what I consider a very good standard of living.  There are several places where I could tighten the belt and will do so if it becomes necessary, but life needs to be enjoyable too.  I try to strike a balance by cutting areas that really don't matter much, in order to be able to do more things that I enjoy and spoil my family a little.

Carol
    western NC
  • Sat, Jun 13 2009 5:18 PM In reply to

I would guess I'm about a 5. I do a lot of frugal things, but it's not financially necessary for me to be a black belt about it. I grew up with frugal parents, so it's just what I'm used to. I'm nowhere near as frugal as some others on these forums, and I'm OK with that. I've learned a lot of things on these forums and I use some of them in daily life now.

DH isn't nearly as frugal as I am, but he's not a spendthrift, either. He buys what he wants. Usually he's already researched carefully what he wants and what options he wants, so he gets what he wants the first time. He doesn't keep upgrading.

I think what makes it easy for us to live a somewhat frugal lifestyle is controlling our wants and/or not having them in the first place. We don't have all the latest gadgets, and we don't care. We have what we want.

Jill

• Sat, Jun 13 2009 10:41 PM In reply to

I would say 9-10. On SSI alone, there isn't much to go around. I neer have a cup of coffee out, get food from shelves sometimes, and eat very smply and cheaply. Never a meal out or takeout, no movies, trips, car. Clothes never new except for underwear and shoes.

I am pretty good at fixng thing or figuring how to make some work And duct tape is my constant companion.

I have to say I don'r miss out on anything..It's kind of peaceful not being part of the buying.

I live simply within my income, and find joy in the everyday. I am, however, single, and if I had kids it'd e a different situation.

• Sun, Jun 14 2009 11:03 AM In reply to

Depends on the day!!  Overall, I think a 5.  But often, it's more like a 3 and I do swing the other way too and would say as high as 7 or so.  Depends on what state of mind I'm in!

Like others, I am trying to do better and have learned a lot.  I am nowhere near as frugal as others here but I too am ok with that.  I have learned to stay within my means and am working hard to get out of debt and save for the future.  We are doing so much better than ever before in that I feel so much more in control than ever before.

I have never been successful in anything (frugality, weight loss, organizing the house, etc) if I go over the top and don't allow for any deviation from the plan in place.  With frugality, no allowing for an extra at the grocery store, an occasional take out treat, a fun family activity, etc just means that one day, we'll get frustrated with not doing anything and overpend to an extreme!  Lack of self-discipline maybe.

Anyway, while we work to achieve our financial goals, we allow for splurges, treats, etc.  But I am learning all the time about ways I can do things for less and those are the best lessons!

Page 1 of 5 (48 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us