Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

ugh ants invading help!

Last post Thu, Jul 16 2009 3:34 PM by cheap_yankee. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (23 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 5 2009 11:40 PM

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

ugh ants invading help!

little black ants make a yearly invasion at one spot at the house like the front door.  suck them up in the vacuum  and throw some borax around the door and we are done but not this year!!

first the back door and then the front door!  now they are coming up though the house by the front door though the cracks in the wood floor.  borax, chalk hasn't worked. more and more all the time. I squash, I vacuum...every few minutes!  with pets, little kids and a teenager in the house clean floors are a 5 min memory.    at least the kids kill them now not play with them.

forgot to get poison ...but as I am writing this dh is coming home up the walk with some Ant out.  hopefully that works.

other family friendly ideas?

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sat, Jun 6 2009 12:41 AM In reply to

Re: ugh ants invading help!

Rubbing alcohol kills ants if you just pour it on them.  When we first moved into this house, I killed over 20 ant colonies the first year inside & within 3 feet of the house.  There was a colony that was just outside the front door, beneath the bush by the front steps. They were climbing the wall & coming in a small spot under the front door, then under the carpet & emerging by the kitchen. EWWWW!  Spraying the linoleum with Windex kept them at bay there, spraying the inside & outside of the door stoop slowed them down, but then spraying the OUTSIDE vertical wall of the house from the ground to the level of the front door with ant spray stopped it cold. It was behind the bush, so little kids weren't in it.  I kept one of those little ant bait houses tucked out of the reach of the kids behind the fridge, & that helped, too. Tucked another one hidden under the bush by the front steps.

Every so often, I would go outside in the evening & there would be a HUGE swarm of the little black ants on the sidewalk, by the driveway, etc. - we're talking 3-4 feet across. That's when I started keeping a couple of bottles of rubbing alcohol in the garage. I just poured a circle to enclose the swarm, then worked my way in.  There are so many little kids in the neighborhood, that I really wasn't comfortable spraying a colony, because the next morning there would be 3 year olds playing in the dead ants.I didn't want poison on their little hands. Grossed me out that the moms were ok with the kids playing with the dead ants, but at least this way they weren't toxic.

Hope that helps. In retrospect, I think I had a major colony living under the driveway.

• Sat, Jun 6 2009 10:38 AM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

The method we have used that seems to have been effective was to go around the base of the house outside and spray with Raid for ants anywhere we saw ants, and do that periodically. In the house we used 409 to spray the ants themselves to kill them, and where they were coming into the house put one shot of Raid to "kill" off the hole. Like you we had them coming up thru all kinds of places; from out behind the washer and dryer - they were coming in thru the vent; from under the hearth of the fireplace, from behind the kitchen faucets, and from under the hot water faucets in the bathroom. It was really strange of why they wanted to be in the bathroom; only thing I could think of was they wanted the water or the warmth from the hot water faucet. The ones in the bathroom, more often than not were just wandering around instead of being in a line going back and forth.  Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Sat, Jun 6 2009 11:16 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

thanks for the ideas.  can't spray raid or anything inside the house cus of the birds and dh asthma.

I have a couple of colonys outside but they don't bug us so I don't bug them.   I like the idea of spraying the outside of the house.

I put the traps around the door and a couple outside. suppose to be out of the way of pets and kids but since the ants are at the door they had to be there.   so just threatened the kids (mainly my son lol)

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sat, Jun 6 2009 12:54 PM In reply to

• swedluv
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 8 2008
    • North Carolina
    • Posts 1,713

When I saw them on the counter last year, I used my household cleaner:vinegar! It kept them from wanting to be on the counter and i drowned a few too!Wink

Lynn

• Sat, Jun 6 2009 1:42 PM In reply to

I've used vinegar with a drop of dish detergent in a small spray bottle to get of the ants that kindly eat the crumbs on the floor in my living room carpet. They don't come back!Big Smile

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • Tue, Jun 9 2009 7:38 AM In reply to

I use Spectracide ant bait granules.  We had a bad problem three years ago and a combination of ant bait and boric acid has knocked them back substantially.  I find their conga line and place bait across it, during times when no rain is expected.  We still have a few in the summer, always near the dumpster and the garbage cans, but their numbers are way down and I hope the treatment eradicates them entirely by autumn.

If you have a Save-A-Lot store in town, the bait is cheap there.  You can also get small bait cartridges--look like Combats but are a different brand.  Only question is whether Princess would use them for a playtoy, so you will have to hide them well.

I've heard claims that Blue Dawn spray will kill ants, but I'm skeptical.  Its adherents claim it's everything but Love Potion #9, and that may be next week's news.

• Thu, Jun 11 2009 1:15 AM In reply to

• LindaC
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 30 2009
    • Posts 570

Try nutmeg.  We had an ant trail coming thru the kitchen door, up onto the counter and making its way across the counter.  Very annoying!  Someone on my sister's stitching group said to use nutmeg paste.  I tried that and just made a big mess but it seemed to be repelling the ants.  So I started sprinkling the nutmeg along the entrance, base of the counter on the floor and on the countertop.  It took a couple of days to be rid of them all but the nutmeg worked.  But, I had to refresh the nutmeg barrier after about a week.  We still see an occasional ant after a few weeks, but I'd forgotten to refresh the barrier after the second week.  But, the problem isn't near what it was.  If I got to it, I'd sprinkle the nutmeg outside along the base of the step and the ground around it. 

Just a caution to be careful with the nutmeg if you have respiratory problems--I sniffed too much of the nutmeg and was woosy afterwards.  LOL!  I'd rather be woosy from a little nutmeg than from the stench of insecticide.  Ick!

Use caution when using anything around your pets.  A quick google check can help you decide what's safe to use around them. :)

• Thu, Jun 11 2009 7:35 AM In reply to

Nutmeg can be toxic to pets.  Symptoms are dry mouth, imbalance/symptoms of drunkenness, sleepiness. 

• Thu, Jun 11 2009 7:37 AM In reply to

• KateHC
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 30 2008
    • Posts 325

I used a spray bottle of water with orange and clove essential oils mixed into it.  Did nicely to get rid of my ants; sprayed down the counters for 3-4 days, and they were gone!

Page 1 of 3 (23 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us