Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

what is eating my beans' and squashes' leaves?

Last post 06-10-2009 2:17 AM by seaturtle. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-03-2009 10:50 PM

what is eating my beans' and squashes' leaves?

Hello to everyone,

Something is taking bites out of the leaves of my summer squash and bean seedling leaves. It looks a bit like slugs, but I have no slugs. It is only attacking theses two plants, not crucifers, lettuce, beets,spinach, peas.

Any idea what this pest might be? I have not been able to see any bug around.

• 06-04-2009 12:05 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Re: what is eating my beans' and squashes' leaves?

Are you sure you don't have slugs? That would be my first guess for something like that - that or "pill bugs" (Can't think of the other name for them right now). Occasionally birds will eat seedling leaves, though and sometimes even ants will. It's really hard to make a good guess.
    Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 06-04-2009 7:36 AM In reply to

buy a bottle of beer, pour it in a tin pie pan or something that is low to the ground. Put it near the beans and see if you catch some slugs. Easy way to find out if it is slugs. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 06-04-2009 8:40 AM In reply to

This is not the time to buy the expensive imported beer. Buy a cheap American beer.

I had slugs in my yard when I lived in Newport News while I was married.

• 06-04-2009 9:14 AM In reply to

I'm having the same problem with my beans--but not with the squash. Something has been nibbling holes in the beans and the pepper plants. For a while the peas were affected too, but the parts higher up the trellis don't seem to be. I have not actually seen any insects on the plants, so I'm not sure what's doing it. It seems like if it were slugs, they ought to be eating the lettuce and basil, which haven't been touched. I haven't seen any bean beetles or Japanese beetles anywhere in the yard, and I planted basil nearby, which is supposed to repel bean beetles. I've tried spraying the plants with a liquid soap mixture, but I'm not sure it's helping.
    My Ecofrugal Living blog: ecofrugality.blogspot.com
  • 06-04-2009 12:42 PM In reply to

VNW, you are right. I get the cheapest beer in the store. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 06-04-2009 1:16 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

haverwench:
    I've tried spraying the plants with a liquid soap mixture, but I'm not sure it's helping.

If liquid soap doesn't work, try diatomaceous earth. It's cheap and really effective against any soft bodied insect or slugs, caterpillars and so on. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• 06-04-2009 1:54 PM In reply to

Pat:

If liquid soap doesn't work, try diatomaceous earth. It's cheap and really effective against any soft bodied insect or slugs, caterpillars and so on. 

Does it help with beetles?
    My Ecofrugal Living blog: ecofrugality.blogspot.com
  • 06-04-2009 2:54 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

haverwench:
    Does it help with beetles?

Yes, it does. It may not work as quickly as for softer bodied pests, but it works. You'll have to reapply it after every watering and rain, as it dissolves away when wet. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• 06-04-2009 9:57 PM In reply to

I went today to get the diatomaceous earth and some dust. From what I can tell by talking to the store clerk,. the combination should pretty much take care of everything.

I am suspecting cumber beetles. Also have some cutworms doing their nasty work.

I will put down some beer, too. I also bought some duplicate seedlings in case mine are too far gone

Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us