Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Making Spaghetti Sauce from fresh tomatoes

Last post Sun, Aug 19 2007 10:24 AM by Deborahmichelle. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 17 2007 11:21 AM

• kabin
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 29 2007
    • Indiana
    • Posts 1,618

Making Spaghetti Sauce from fresh tomatoes

I pureed a lot of tomatoes from my garden in the blender this morning. I put them on to cook and seasoned with garlic, onions, green peppers, salt pepper and Italian seasoning. I wasn't planning to use it today, but was thinking of freezing the sauce. The only thing is that it is always so acidic. Not good for DH with acid reflux. Is sugar enough to cut it? I know I will be adding to the sauce as the day goes on, as many of the tomatoes are Roma with others mixed in.

TIA, Kathy

• Fri, Aug 17 2007 12:51 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Re: Making Spaghetti Sauce from fresh tomatoes

You can cut the acid with just a bit of baking soda. I can't tell you how much, but I'd estimate just a pinch per pint. Sugar may change the taste so it doesn't taste as acidic, but I don't think it would remove acid, which is the problem with acid reflux. I wouldn't put baking soda in until you're finished with the whole pot, though and be careful to not overdo it because you can taste it if there's too much.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Fri, Aug 17 2007 2:25 PM In reply to

• kabin
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Indiana
    • Posts 1,618

Thanks Pat. I had always heard that sugar cut it, but it is so acidic I was afraid of using too much sugar. I may try the baking soda, just a pinch. We are having beautiful weather today. It's 75 and sunny. I am so happy to be able to cook and not heat the house up so much.

• Fri, Aug 17 2007 2:27 PM In reply to

Molasses will also do it, a touch at a time and remember it also is a strong additive.  It is also sweet so take care when adding it.  I add 1/2 teaspoon per pint, no more.  ; )

• Fri, Aug 17 2007 2:33 PM In reply to

• kabin
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Indiana
    • Posts 1,618

Thanks Brianschef. I don't have molasses right now, but will add it to my list and try to remember that.

Kathy

• Fri, Aug 17 2007 3:17 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Well, I think there's a difference in cutting the taste of acid and reducing the actual acid. If you're concerned about acid reflux (my problem, also) you'll want to reduce the actual acid. Don't quote me on it, though! Smile

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Fri, Aug 17 2007 4:03 PM In reply to

I agree with you Brian has acid reflux, so I try not to use sugar based products at all to cut acid, but he cant take the baking soda taste, says he can smell it when I cook the sauces.  And wont eat them at all if  "smells" it.  Personally I dont think he should be eating acid based foods at all if they bother him that much, but you know how that goes. : )  His grandmoteer told me that she added the molassess so I do the same.  I cant tell the difference in the level of acid but he says he can.

• Fri, Aug 17 2007 4:19 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Yes, the taste isn't pleasant, especially when you don't expect it. If you just use a minimum, though, you really can't taste it. Or maybe it's just me, but I can't taste it. You do have to be careful of the amount you use, though.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Fri, Aug 17 2007 11:35 PM In reply to

• kabin
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Indiana
    • Posts 1,618

The sauce came out great with no complaints what so ever. I used sugar and a small smige of soda. I also flavor my sauce with wine, so, the flavor can be perked up a little.

• Sat, Aug 18 2007 9:36 AM In reply to

terrific!!

Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us