Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Sharing a House

Last post Thu, Jul 2 2009 9:19 AM by haverwench. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (30 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, May 31 2009 8:32 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Sharing a House

I see more posts, articles and people around me choosing to share housing and other resources to be able to have more for less or just to survive. 

The Dollar Stretcher has an article, Sharing a House, that offers some tips on making the right choices for a positive experience. Have you ever shared a house with others? Would you choose to do this in the future?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, May 31 2009 8:45 AM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Re: Sharing a House

In my younger days, I did share apartments but it didn't last. Knowing or being friends with someone, and living with them, are two different things. The first point about knowing WHO your sharing a residence with is the most important. If in a tight situation, I would still opt to live alone as long as possible. I would not be comfortable sharing my home with anyone else.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Sun, May 31 2009 8:54 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Toni B.:
    Knowing or being friends with someone, and living with them, are two different things.

I agree.  We have done it various times over the years. It hasn't been the best of experiences.

My husband has a dominant personality and we are both types who who will dive in and get things done, even if that means shouldering more than our share of responsibilities. We can have some fairly high standards on some things due to our own personalities and lifestyle.

These things have led to some situations that became more like parent and child with other adults who lived with us. Feeling like I am caring for adults can wear thin quickly.

• Sun, May 31 2009 10:42 AM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

We would do it only with/for our son and his family, and then only if absolutely necessary due to no other options being available. It wouldn't work for an extended period of time - too much of a clash of personalities, and we each need our space and privacy.  Space is limited where we are. As for other relatives or friends, I'd give them money and help them find a place to stay before taking them in. Even visitors are here too long if it goes beyond 2 or 3 days. 

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Sun, May 31 2009 11:04 AM In reply to

• Newfs
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 15 2009
    • MA
    • Posts 386

I agree with the other posters also. I couldn't do it.....I would find a side job, and even a 2nd and 3rd side job if I had to. I love my home and the way I live in my home, renting rooms out for extra income is not an option for me, because I couldn't deal with it. If I want to walk around the inside of my home at 10PM butt naked, I do Big Smile besides, I am not one to enjoy picking up after other people......I to, would help someone I knew with $$ finding a place for them, their very own space...

Until we Newf again....
  • Sun, May 31 2009 11:15 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Newfs:
    I would find a side job, and even a 2nd and 3rd side job if I had to

We have never others in our home to make extra income. There were times when the benefits for us to do this were not counted in dollars as we were not charging for rent, utilities or food.

I can't say this was a good thing for anyone involved. 

Newfs:
    If I want to walk around the inside of my home at 10PM butt naked, I do

We have had kids for most of our marriage so this isn't something we have ever really done, lol!

• Sun, May 31 2009 12:06 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

We had both our sons come home for short stays and it doesn't take long for us to get on each others nerves. And the older I get, the more I prefer my own routine and pace.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Sun, May 31 2009 12:08 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Toni B.:
    And the older I get, the more I prefer my own routine and pace.

I have noticed such a thing myself.

• Sun, May 31 2009 12:53 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

we had people living with us most of the time currently we have  Granny and my older sister in law ,  Brother in law and Sister in law. my God daughter and her Daddy ..   I love it it really works well

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sun, May 31 2009 1:49 PM In reply to

Gayla, You must be an angle.

Page 1 of 3 (30 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us