Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Bank account disabled - what does that mean?

Last post Tue, May 26 2009 7:55 PM by seaturtle. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 25 2009 6:34 PM

Bank account disabled - what does that mean?

I went online today to check my balance. When I tried to log in, I got a mesage "This account has been disabled."

I"ve no idea what that means. I'm not overdrawn. 

There was a mess with my Access ID about 2 weeks ago, but that was fixed, and I was able to access my account last week. Does anyone have an idea what "disabled account" means - and why it happens?

I can call the bank tomorrow, but t's mking me very anxious.

Thanks as always,

Seaturtle

• Mon, May 25 2009 6:47 PM In reply to

• Newfs
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 15 2009
    • MA
    • Posts 386

Re: Bank account disabled - what does that mean?

Not to worry seaturtle, it's not you. Same thing has happen to my bank online 2 times in the last couple of years. The banks server will "disable the online accounts" if something has gone wrong, at least with my bank thats how it works. Two times my bank has been hacked online, and basically my banks server shuts down any attempt by a account holder to access their online information. It's for our protection. Call your bank in the morning. It is a little nerve-racking.... I swear if my bank gets hacked online a 3rd time, I am going to no longer have my online accounts. It has become SO easy for people to tap into secure sites now-adays it is frightning. My bank reassures me every memer is covered by FDIC, I say I don't care!!!! Does the FDIC cover all the presonal data about me when the hacker gets all that too Sad.... sometimes I think all this technology to to much technology for our own good!!!!!!!!! Or it could be something as simple as the bank is working on the online site, and shut it down for an X amount of time, usually they tell all their customers thats going to happen at a certain time though..........

Until we Newf again....
  • Mon, May 25 2009 6:56 PM In reply to

I agree with Newfs - I think it's a problem on their end, not something wrong with your account.  Things like this are why I'm glad my bank has a 24-hour phone service as well.
  • Mon, May 25 2009 8:36 PM In reply to

Hi,

Thanks so much! I will call them first thing tomorrow.

Protection and hacking - it occured to me that I got a letter and call from Natinal Magazine Exchange and did order some of their magazines - good bargain. I wonder if they are hacking into my account (like an idiot, I gave them my debit card # - I feel like a total nimbus, never did that before, don't know why I did it this time, except that I thought they were Publishers Clearing House, which is a reputable company). Ugh. 

Is it possible that the bank shut down my accounta to protect it against them?

I did go online and looked up National Mag. Exchange. There's all sorts of bad reports about them, but nothing about them crashing bank accounts.

I've learned my lesson. It always has been my policy never to give out any information over the phone. I've re-learned it.

Will let you know what happens tomorrow. Fortunately, there was very little money in my account. My only fear is that they racked up charges on my debit card (bank does not stop paying out even if no funds are available).

Funny thing is - I have never used my card once. I pay in cash only.

My jet-black furrie Jonathan has just jumped into my lap, telling me it will be all right. So I guess it will (fingers crossed).

Seaturtle

• Mon, May 25 2009 8:36 PM In reply to

karenteacher:
    I agree with Newfs - I think it's a problem on their end, not something wrong with your account.  Things like this are why I'm glad my bank has a 24-hour phone service as well.

Things like this are why I don't do any banking or bill paying on line.

I don't trust them in the least. If hackers can get into government computers, what's a bank?

Sorry for your upset!

BW

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Mon, May 25 2009 9:10 PM In reply to

• Newfs
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 15 2009
    • MA
    • Posts 386

I have never done a "bill pay" online before, and never will. I still and always will write a check and mail it when paying a bill. Budgetwise, I agree with you.

Until we Newf again....
  • Mon, May 25 2009 9:23 PM In reply to

I actually have no checks and will not use them. If I have to send away for something, I use a money order. That's why it's so unlike me to do that.

• Tue, May 26 2009 7:55 PM In reply to

Problem solved, whew!

I called the bank this morning, and you were right: it was an internal problem, something to do with their computers. It's fine now.

The Magazine Exchange did take it's $22.00, but that's okay. Apparently, the scam is because they convince some people to get 4-year subscriptions. They tried that with me, but I agreed only to sign up for one year.

So I am relieved, and if there are any problems with NME, I will deal with them.

Seaturtle

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us