Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Our Disposable Society

Last post Tue, Oct 12 2010 9:20 PM by 3-dog family. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 13 2007 9:36 AM

• Bubbe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 13 2007
    • Posts 3

Our Disposable Society

For  years I have stayed away from things made from paper or plastic.  Everyday  napkins are either bandanas or fingertip towels.  I bought a  package of  36 microfiber cloths at Costco .  I use them for everything:  dusting, cleaning mirrors and glass, washing walls & appliances, bathrooms -  I  even use them in place of a mop to clean my laminate floors.  I simply dampen one and wring it out then use my foot to move it over the floor because I have severe back problems.  After using the cloths I rinse them out then toss them in the washer. 

I  always keep cloth tote bags in the car so I don't have to accept plastic bags.  It's simple to take one (or more) into Target or CVS or wherever you shop.  I stuff extras inside the larger one then carry it on my shoulder with my purse.   If you don't have cloth bags,  re-use  brown paper bags from the grocery store. 

The most important thing we do at our house is recycling everything we possible can.  If we can't recycle it we try to re-purpose it.  

• Mon, Aug 13 2007 10:10 AM In reply to

Re: Our Disposable Society

Welcome Bubbe!  I also use canvas bags for all my shopping and keep one or two older backpacks in the back of the car to help me with hauling groceries into the house.  I will look for the microfiber cloths at Sam's, I also need to wash the floor with alternative methods due to bad knees.  ; )

• Mon, Aug 13 2007 12:12 PM In reply to

One of my aides who has a very bad back SITS DOWN while cleaning the floor, the tub, etc.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Mon, Aug 13 2007 12:39 PM In reply to

I would probably use reusable bags for local shopping, which amounts to a bag or two at a time.  However, when I power shop in another city once a month, I would have to own probably 20 bags!!!  It would be a nightmare to take them all into the several stores I shop in!  However, I do repurpose all the bags.  They are used for garbage can liners, bags to hold produce for giving away (we use lots of them that way because of our large garden), to hold dirty diapers for disposal (grandkids and great grandkids), garbage container for the car, etc. etc. so each bag serves at least two purposes. In the rare times we have a surplus, I take them to the library for the use of others. 
    After my monthly power shop, we use a kid's big wagon to haul the stuff into the house where it sits until I am recuperated enough to put stuff away.  This has saved elderly knees a whole lot of pain!!!
    Patrink

• Thu, Aug 16 2007 3:25 PM In reply to

• Bubbe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 13 2007
    • Posts 3

I hear what you are saying about having too many to carry...BUT what if you carry as many as you feel comfortable with?  My reasoning is pretty simple:  even if I cannot replace every bag with a cloth or paper one,  I can use FEWER by taking mine along.  By the way,  I recommend carrying some cloth bags that are about the size of notebook paper to carry those things you'd normally take home in a plastic bag too small for a trash can or diaper disposal.  A small bag can roll up & be stashed inside a purse is great for when I have a chocolate candy attack and have to stock up on my M & Ms.

• Mon, Oct 11 2010 12:49 PM In reply to

I find that when I get things that are free that are frozen or single servings, that we have so much more trash.  It is amazing how much more there is compared to when I just cook everything myself.  What a difference!

• Mon, Oct 11 2010 1:23 PM In reply to

Interesting thread. DH just doesn't understand why I don't put fresh produce at the grocery in one of those super flimsy plastic bags to take it to the checkout. A bunch of bananas comes with its disposable and compostable wrapper. Three apples just don't need their own sepaprate container.  AM

• Mon, Oct 11 2010 1:23 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

that is true.   though one part of the problem is that nothing seems to last anymore.   tvs, toasters, appliances...all don't seem to last and aren't worth fixing.  and I won't  go into computers etc that are always out of date!

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Mon, Oct 11 2010 1:44 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

we got some part the other day it was in a huge box with those packing peanut then bubble warp .. more tape that I use in a life time and finally it was in a small white envelope  

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Mon, Oct 11 2010 2:34 PM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

I just saw this fascinating article today:

http://www.annarbor.com/news/minimizing-entropy-university-of-michigan-student-half-way-through-year-without-waste/

University of Michigan student attempting to live a year without waste. He has so little trash after six months that he can carry it around with him.

Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us