Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Dh wants to take a lower paying job

Last post 05-18-2009 1:23 PM by zohnerfarms. 46 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-09-2009 5:27 PM

Dh wants to take a lower paying job

As if taking a $5 an hour drop wasn't enough, dh interviewed for a HVAC job that would take another $2 an hour away. After 6 mo he would gain back another .50 an hour.

Negatives: no company truck to take home. $2 an hour less.

Pros: Benefits included for $80 a month for us. guarenteed 40 hrs a week w/no layoffs. Employer is a famous arts academy nearby. (Jewel went there as did Bruce and Demi's daughter) so no more driving all over the countryside going to jobs. It would be easier on his body-no more icky crawlspaces and attics. Paid college tuition to further education. Retirement plan available.

I agree with dh that the pros sound good for him as he's getting older. The $2 an hour less is really hard to swallow. I would hope for raises at least once a year...? There is no hope of a raise where dh is at right now.

Dh had a good feeling about the interview. 15 people are interviewing. There might be a 2nd round of interviews that he gets called for. I guess if he doesn't get called, then it's not meant to be. But I really don't know how I feel about this.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 05-09-2009 5:39 PM In reply to

Re: Dh wants to take a lower paying job

How much will the benefits save you?  That may well offset the drop in pay.  And less wear and tear on your husband can't really be tallied as a dollar amount.  But I certainly understand why you're concerned; it's a difficult trade-off for the short-term, even though the long-term benefits may come out to be worth more in the end.
  • 05-09-2009 6:11 PM In reply to

The retirement plan avaialable is a good thing. The money I put in my 401K at work comes off the top of my income at tax time as if it did not exist, which saves us $$ twice.  The best explanation I have heard for how that works is the cookie analogy:  The money is like a delicious cookie. You CANNOT have the cookie right now, but you can choose who gets the cookie.  You can give it to Uncle Sam now, or you can have it later.  Simple choice, I think. Because the amount I contribute to the retirement plan is pre-tax, I don't have to pay taxes on it in the paycheck, so the taxes taken out each week are lower, & it comes off the top of our income at tax time.  I actually bring home more $$ when I put more into the 401K, because I get tokeep more of the moeny that would have gone for taxes.  In your situation, it may be enough to compensate for the $2 per hour loss. It would be for me.

• 05-09-2009 6:12 PM In reply to

No hope for raises where he is now and he's already taken a pay cut? Then next way the current job would cut costs would be to cut hours. On the other hand, the new job guarantees 40 hours a week, less physical stress and less driving. It may be tough call but it sounds more stable than his current situation. Just something to think about.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • 05-09-2009 8:05 PM In reply to

I think that having a guaranteed number of hours would make it worthwhile to take the job even with the drop in pay.

• 05-09-2009 8:37 PM In reply to

• Newfs
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-15-2009
    • MA
    • Posts 386

Pros: Benefits included for $80 a month for us. guarenteed 40 hrs a week w/no layoffs.

If the company will guarentee a 40 week with no layoffs, make sure your hubby gets that in writing   (a contract with the company). They probably will have a contract with such promises, just make sure it's dated and signed by the proper employers. That being said, with the economy the way it is, if I were your hubby, I would happily take the job. It won't be to hard to find to find little side jobs here & there to make up some of the weekly dollar amount loss....I wish him luck.....Yes

Until we Newf again....
  • 05-09-2009 9:14 PM In reply to

He said the supervisor told him that  it may mean he helps open cottages on the campus when they are rushed. That would be incredible pay for house cleaning lol I'd do it! Dh assured him that's not beneath him.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 05-09-2009 9:31 PM In reply to

Wow cinamonhuskies by taking anytype of job right now in this day in age good for him if he makes it the pay less its happing all over even me the title clerk alway took the cut in pay just to have some type of money coming in is hopeful which ever it is I wissh the both of you in a church prayer box I hope you do not mind that and I wish the bestest luck..

cindy

• 05-09-2009 10:06 PM In reply to

Cinnamonhuskies:
    I agree with dh that the pros sound good for him as he's getting older
    Cinnamonhuskies:
    It would be easier on his body-no more icky crawlspaces and attics.

One lesson I am learning recently is that sometimes the extra money isn't worth it, no matter what, if you are in a job you don't like. Case in point: My husband is really, really looking forward to retiring from the military soon, and that scares the snot out of me--no job, only a pension and GI Bill bennies coming in. Yipes! But his body is worn out after 20 years in the service--bad back, four hernia repairs, three ankle surgeries, and one more ankle surgery impending after he gets back home from overseas. His body can't take any more hard labor, no matter how great the paycheck.

From your post, it sounds like your hubbie is in the same situation as mine--ready to move on to something easier on the body--the extra money from the current job isn't worth it. But, if the prospective job gives a guaranteed 40 hours per week, would that offset the lower paycheck? I mean, is hubbie currently getting 40 hours a week right now? If not, that may be something to consider.

Cinnamonhuskies:
    I guess if he doesn't get called, then it's not meant to be.

From earlier posts in which you mention hubbie has filled in preaching for your church, I trust he is a man of faith and is putting it all into the Lord's Hands. If it's the Lord's Will for him to get this job, then He will provide for you and your family. (I'm preaching to myself here...I've got to remember this a lot more lately in my own life, too.)

Let us know how it goes, I'm excited to hear how it turns out. Given that jobs in your state are so few and far between, this would be a true blessing!

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • 05-10-2009 7:14 AM In reply to

Based on math alone, I would take the new job if it's offered and you get a contract guaranteeing no layoffs.  What I calculated was a pay rate of $15/hour on 30 hours a week ($450) or $13/hour on 40 hours a week ($520).  Any which way you work it, taking less money, but getting more hours is going to bring home more money -- and that gap just grows bigger each time he works just 10 or 15 or 20 hours a week at the other job. 

The other pros -- like better working conditions and retirement plan -- are just icing on an already delicious cake!  Another pro -- knowing for sure what your weekly or monthly income is going to be.  When you're dealing with flexible hours that means your income fluxuates.  If nothing else you'll know exactly what you're getting and you'll be able to plan and budget for it.

Any change is scary.  I will keep your family in my prayers.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
Page 1 of 5 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us