Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Replacing elastic in a half slip

Last post Mon, May 4 2009 12:47 PM by Peaches. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, May 3 2009 8:04 PM

Replacing elastic in a half slip

Anyone ever replaced the elastic in a half slip? If so how did you do it? Have very minnimal sewing skills so please give simple directions!

This morning DH and I were walking toward the Church (thank goodness we were late) and I felt something sliding down! Embarrassed I stopped and said Honey somethings not right! He started laughing and my slip was on the ground! Fortunately everyone else was inside, so I quickly grabbed it and took it back to the truck! We had a good laugh about that but, really don't want it to happen again and don't want to buy another one if the elastic can be replaced! I can't even remember when I bought it, has to be at least 10 years old, but why throw it away?

• Sun, May 3 2009 11:17 PM In reply to

Re: Replacing elastic in a half slip

Mom once told me that a zig zag stitch is used to sew it. Mom used to buy the elastic at fabric shops.

• Mon, May 4 2009 12:17 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

depends if the elastic is sewn directly on the fabric which is harder to replace or if the elastic is in a fabric tube at the top.  that is easy.  just cut the elastic a couple inches shorter then your waist. put a safety pin on one end and thread it though the tube.  sew the two ends together and you are done.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Mon, May 4 2009 8:32 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

If the elastic is sewn to the waist, take a piece of elastic a couple of inches shorter than your waist and sew it together. Fold it in half and baste the ends to the center of each side. Fold each section in half and baste it to the centers of back and front. That insures that it comes out even. If you have a sewing machine with a stretch stitch, use that, and gently pulling the elastic to make it fit from basting point to basting point, sew it down. It can be done by hand but it's tiring to stretch and stitch, stretch and stitch. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, May 4 2009 9:58 AM In reply to

Thank you for your help. The elastic is sewn  to the waist. I have never done anything like that before and had no idea how to do it. Did not know if I could do it on my machine, so this leads to another question. Is a stretch stitch the same as a basting stitch? Is it okay to use regualr thread or do I need something different? Thank you again for your answers, I really do appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions!

• Mon, May 4 2009 10:04 AM In reply to

Peaches:
    Is a stretch stitch the same as a basting stitch?

I was always taught to use a zig zag for stretching unless you used special thread.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Mon, May 4 2009 11:40 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Peaches:
    Is a stretch stitch the same as a basting stitch?

No, some sewing machines make a special stitch that gives back and forth. If yours doesn't have that, a zigzag stitch will better than a straight stitch. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, May 4 2009 12:32 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

I've done mine similar to Pat but divide and pin in quarters:divide and mark the slip waist  where the elastic goes with 4 equally spaced marks, then do the same with the elastic after you've sewn the ends together.  Match the quarter marks on the slip to the marks on the elastic and pin.  Use a zigzag or stretch stitch to sew and stretch the elastic to fit the waist as you sew it down. My favorite thread is a cotton covered polyester thread, Dual Duty by Coats and Clarks. Some favor 100% cotton thread but I've not had good luck using it. Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Mon, May 4 2009 12:47 PM In reply to

Thank you !! Now I know what to do! The slip will be repaired and will check the other slip that is in the drawer, don't want this to happen again, so you ladies will have halped to save not one slip, but two! Just could not see the point in buying a new one if the old one could be saved. Thank you again!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us