Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Looking for tips to Great Iced Tea

Last post Tue, May 5 2009 9:01 AM by slk2042. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 2 2009 6:56 PM

• dlw
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 23 2007
    • Posts 463

Looking for tips to Great Iced Tea

I love iced tea and drink it all the time. However, I can't seem to get the brew right when I make it myself. TIPS????? What kind of tea bags? How much Water??? I like mine unsweetened. When I drink it I add lots of lemon slices and artifical sweetner. Can you help me get this right before the long hot summer.

DL

• Sat, May 2 2009 7:04 PM In reply to

Re: Looking for tips to Great Iced Tea

four or five tea bags in the picture put boiling water over the tea bag until picture is full wait for awhile for the flaver to seep threw I use black tea then I put a lemon flaver in it actually you can have any flaver you want go to the coffee isle in your store grab a box and knoock your socks off have fun messing in the kitchen...

• Sat, May 2 2009 7:17 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

bring 4 cups of water to a boil and remove from heat

add 3 tablespoons of loose leaf tea.

Brew the leaves for 4 to 5 minutes

strain and pur the hot tea over 4 cups of ice into a contianer

chill

sweeten as desired . I love mine with Lemon

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sat, May 2 2009 7:19 PM In reply to

• kb999999
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 26 2008
    • Arizona
    • Posts 950

Hi ... I put 8-10 regular-size tea bags, usually 4-6 are flavored (peach, mango, apple, ect ...), into a one-gallon container, add a teapot full of almost boiling water, cover and seep for 4 to 4.5 minutes. Then just spoon out teabag, add the ice and cold water. I drink my tea strong with no sugar or such, and sometimes with a bit of lemon/lime. Experiment with less bags at first and increase the 'seep' time until you have your recipe. Big Smile   

• Sat, May 2 2009 9:08 PM In reply to

I agree with the other suggestions but also want to say that sometimes it might be that you don't really like the flavor of the brand of tea you buy-I look for sales on slightly nicer brands because I feel like there is a huge difference in the taste.  That might help!

I too love iced tea, especially in summer.  I love to add flavored tea bags (there is a passion fruit one that is SO good) but I too never drink it sweetened.

Isn't it funny how things like iced tea are so personal?  Everyone has their favorite ways to make and drink it.

• Sat, May 2 2009 9:48 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

jennylyn:
    Isn't it funny how things like iced tea are so personal?  Everyone has their favorite ways to make and drink it.

That's so true. I'm very picky about iced tea. I won't drink it in a restaurant or from a can or bottle.

I bring a couple of cups of water to boiling, then remove it from heat, add a heaping tablespoon of looseleaf tea, cover and let it steep for 15 minutes or so. We drink sweet tea, so I strain it into a jar with sugar and water and add cold water until it tastes right. That makes about a quart and a half to two quarts. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Sun, May 3 2009 7:21 AM In reply to

I used to add tea bags to a 2 cup measuring cup and pour boiling water on it. I'd brew it until it was very dark and I'd dilute it with cold water. I'd add enough cold water to the pitcher (I would pour the dark tea into the pitcher after it had brewed) to make it the shade I liked.

I like flavored teas also. I am very fond of Bigelow Constant Comment and Lemon Lift. Sure, my tea is a little pricey, but I'm worth it plus it is cheaper than my Cokes.

Mom used to buy Lipton tea bags when there were 4 of us drinking iced tea. In those days I'd make sun tea for us.

• Sun, May 3 2009 8:30 AM In reply to

• swedluv
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 8 2008
    • North Carolina
    • Posts 1,713

I get my tea bags from a restaurant supplier, but they equal one ounce in weight. I fill my coffee pot half full of water, run it through without a bag, just clear. Put bag in pitcher, pour water from coffee pot over it and let it steep for about 20 minutes. After that just fill with cold water. For sweet, I add 12 ounces of sugar before the cold water. I make around 10-20 gallons a day as I am the one who makes the tea at work as well.

Lynn

• Sun, May 3 2009 1:33 PM In reply to

• dlw
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 23 2007
    • Posts 463

Thanks to everyone for the great tips. I am going to try them out of the next week.

DL

• Sun, May 3 2009 1:50 PM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 24 2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

How about one more??  The best tea is made in the hot summer sun!.  Put fresh cold water in a gallon jar, add 8-10 tea bags depending on how strong you want the tea, allow the jar to sit in the hot summer sun for at least 8 hours.  Refrigerate and enjoy with a fresh slice of lemon/lime/orange - whatever citrus flavor you want.

Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us