Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Petroleum Jelly

Last post Sat, May 2 2009 5:43 PM by Hofmama. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 28 2009 5:19 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Petroleum Jelly

One of Dollar Stretcher's articles for this week is about petroleum jelly. I use it for a lot of things, but there were some new ones I hadn't thought of! I use it on my feet, elbows and lips now and then, and I tried to keep the squirrels off the bird feeder with it, but it didn't work for me. I suspect it works according to the temperature. One thing it will do that she didn't mention is loosen latex paint after it's dried onto something for awhile. Do you use it for any other things? 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Tue, Apr 28 2009 5:27 PM In reply to

Re: Petroleum Jelly

I like the idea of using it to protect my face when I'm coloring my hair. Also the idea of making fire starters sounds neat.

My son has eczema, and the doctor recommended Aquaphor ointment. Wow, that stuff is expensive. After looking at its ingredients, I decided to go with plain old Vaseline, and it works pretty well.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Tue, Apr 28 2009 5:38 PM In reply to

• Valntyn
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 28 2009
    • Maine
    • Posts 7

My husband uses it regularly in the Winter as an overnight treatment for his insanely dry hands.  The other major use for it in this house is as a furrball treatment.  Several of our critter-kids are ferrets and during shedding season, many of them get furrballs from grooming.  A little dab of pure petroleum jelly (very important word, "pure") helps their problems glide right through!  It's much cheaper than ferret laxative products, healthier, and most ferrets love the taste, so they think their "medicine" is a nice treat!

• Tue, Apr 28 2009 7:18 PM In reply to

• Hofmama
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 10 2008
    • Kentucky
    • Posts 590

We mostly use it for the beauty-type things. I have gorgeous skin and hair (probably mostly due to youth) but I like to attribute it to regular doses of petroleum jelly (though only use it on your hair if you don't have to go anywhere for a day or two--it takes a few washes to get out!). I also use it to make my eye shadow more potent--a little bit of a shadow mixed with petroleum jelly is glossy and vibrant. 

We have to keep my 16 month old from eating it!

• Tue, Apr 28 2009 7:51 PM In reply to

We're always using drain opener around here and I put petroleum jelly on the chrome drain to keep the harsh cleaner from eating thru the finish.  Liz.

• Tue, Apr 28 2009 8:53 PM In reply to

I use it to take mascara off.

Jill

• Tue, Apr 28 2009 10:33 PM In reply to

I have sensitive skin. Back in the days before I switched to my current hairdresser I used to get perms. The hairdresser would put petroleum jelly around my forehead and ears. The permnant wave lotion would burn my skin & the petroleum jelly protected it.

• Tue, Apr 28 2009 10:38 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

It can also be used as a light gear grease on metal gears. But not plastic or nylon gears. From what I understand plastic or nylon, or both, will be damaged if applied to it. 

Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Wed, Apr 29 2009 12:44 AM In reply to

great coating for leather I used it on my shoes for years and great for chapped lips and dry skin on hands and feet..

• Wed, Apr 29 2009 7:43 AM In reply to

• allie
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 12 2008
    • Virginia
    • Posts 810

I tried using it on the pole where my hummingbird feeder sits to keep the ants from crawling up but it only works a few hours in the hot summer sun and then they just crawl right over it.

We use it on chapped lips around here.  For some reason, we can't seem to keep chapstick in the house during the winter but the petroleum jelly is always available.

I've used it to keep my dog's hair in front of his eyes lying down when I was trying to grow it out. That didn't work well because he'd try to rub it off and end up with the hair sticking straight up.

Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us