Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Frugal Flower Bed

Last post 06-16-2011 7:59 PM by MarthaMFI. 28 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-24-2009 11:43 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: Frugal Flower Bed

Pat:
    ou are going to take pictures of this project as you go, aren't you?

I sure can though I don't have automatic and immediate use of a digital camera. I have to take the photos when my husband is home with it.

Have I shared the photos of the spaces I am currently working with? I took some before I started my projects but I don't think I posted them here.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 04-24-2009 12:50 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Cool, I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Brandy:
    Have I shared the photos of the spaces I am currently working with?

I don't know... you shared some, but I don't know if those are the ones you're thinking of. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 04-24-2009 3:24 PM In reply to

Ok, I know it's not the same as a flower bed but since it's your daughter that expressed interest and you have sunflowers, I thought I'd throw out a REALLY cute idea I saw in a magazine last summer.  I am tempted to try it myself . . .

Basically what you do is plant the sunflowers in a large square or rectangle or even a circle.  Plant the seeds fairly close together (closer than package says) and leave the space clear inside the shape you make.  Because sunflowers grow so fast, there is good instant gratification for kids (we grew sunflowers last year-DS loved watching them because they changed and grew so quickly).  Anyway, they get so tall that once they are taller than your child, they can go inside to the middle space for their own little hidden sunflower fort.  So cute!  I saw pictures last year of this in both a flower bed/dirt patch type area and one that was right in the middle of the grass!  I'm tempted to do it but I think DH would say no.  Think I'll ask him tonight.  When I saw the pictures last year, it was too late in the season but I think my kids would LOVE that!  Plus it's shady during the heat of summer because the sunflowers will create shade.

If I remember right, one thing it said was that when the sunflowers reach full height, you may have to use string or something to keep them standing tall, depending on how tall and heavy they are.  Then you can harvest the seeds too at the end if you want!

Not really the same idea you are talking about I know, but it just refreshed in my memory when I read your post and that you have sunflowers and I had to throw it out there.  If you google sunflower fort or sunflower tent there are tons of idea and even pictures.

• 04-24-2009 3:48 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

Pat:
    .. you shared some, but I don't know if those are the ones you're thinking of. 

Let me fix that...

This is the far side of the bakyard. I have mentioned that the yard does a horseshoe around the house. This is the area I have tossed around ideas for future gardening. The fence is damaged from the storm and is indeed falling. It's the other side of this that I want to plant the flower bed but I have to work around the damaged area for now. I need to weed in this area too as I am in habit of encouraging the wild growth..some pretty stuff just pops up.

Home of the wild and place of future planting

This area is right outside of my kitchen door. The bed I am considering without backing of a fence would be near these trees to break this garden area I am building from the open front yard where the kids ride their bikes and play. The bird feeder is an oriental style one and the birdbath is a pink ceramic flower on black iron legs. This theme is seen around the yard for a whimsical touch to it. I have added a bit of that picket fencing against the porch and put some potted plants along it and along the fench. You  should be able to see where the land drops right past the trees, this is one of my problem low spots that holds water. 

My Kitchen Garden

• 04-24-2009 3:57 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

jennylyn:
    Anyway, they get so tall that once they are taller than your child, they can go inside to the middle space for their own little hidden sunflower fort

That is what I had in mind but then on looking around...I have no idea where to put them.It's not a matter of space, mind, it's convenience and safety.

• 04-24-2009 4:10 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Brandy, from what I can see, it looks like the biggest problem you'd have would be getting enough sunshine. If you've watched, though, and seen where the sun shines the most, you shouldn't have any problem. I like those trees, but I see the dip you mentioned. Grow rice? Wink

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 04-24-2009 4:13 PM In reply to

Brandy:
    I have no idea where to put them

This is my problem too!  I have one small space I could put them, it would make a pretty small little space but big enough for the two of them I think.  It is however, right smack in the middle of the yard!  That is why I think my DH will say no.  So cute though.

• 04-24-2009 4:20 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

Pat:
    Grow rice?

I suggested that to my husband, he was not amused. But he didn't like my attempt to turn the back yard dip into a swamp scene either. LOL!

Pat:
    it looks like the biggest problem you'd have would be getting enough sunshine

The shade in what I have termed my kitchen garden is confined to the area around the trees. I can plant a couple of feet away from the trees into the front yard and get full sun most of the day.

I love multi-level landscaping but the dips are ridiculous. I am at a loss as to how to best work with front one. We can fill the back one to make it level since that isn't part of the yard's drainage.

• 04-24-2009 4:24 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

jennylyn:
    It is however, right smack in the middle of the yard! 

That does make it hard.

I have space in the backyard but my daughter rarely plays out there alone. If I planted them there, someone would have to be with her to play. Someone thought it was a good idea to put the doors in front of the fence and put the gate for it all the way at the end of the fence! 

If she were older, I'd be ok with her playing in the backyard but at five, I want to have clear sight of her and easy access to her.

• 04-24-2009 9:32 PM In reply to

Chop or dig up a small area in your yard, sow some seeds, and watch them grow!

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blujay.com/
Page 2 of 3 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us