Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Backyard Bird Watching, and other Critters

Last post 04-19-2009 9:30 PM by Brandy. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-17-2009 5:35 PM

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Backyard Bird Watching, and other Critters

Warm weather is here already and we have seen numerous birds in our back yard in the past few days.  Hummingbirds are here year round, even in bad weather they are at the feeders. You'd think they'd get blown away in high winds, but they don't. 

We've seen mockingbirds, doves, crows, sparrows, and flycatchers, and some tiny flittery flock of birds that won't sit still long enough to identify them. Sea gulls fly in for the day to the nearby swap meet; at sundown they all start a swirling flight then fly off towards the sun in long lines. Occasionally a Red Tail hawk will fly around the treetops, and I've heard a screech owl at night. Last year we had an Oriole pair but they haven't returned to our yard yet. 

We have squirrels that eat our tangerines, oranges and grapefruit. Occasionally we've had possums, and last year a raccoon family for awhile in a neighbors tree. 

What wildlife have you seen this season? 

Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • 04-17-2009 6:36 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: Backyard Bird Watching, and other Critters

Edey:
    What wildlife have you seen this season? 

We have seen squirrels and blue birds.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 04-17-2009 7:51 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

I feed the birds, but there's not a very big variety here - not like there is out of town, anyway. There are English sparrows, doves, house finches, purple finches, robins, an occaisional bluejay, grackels, blackbirds, crows and of course, starlings. I have seen flickers and chickadees at different times of the year and now and then a sparrow hawk comes along. And squirrels. Squirrels get into the feeders regularly. We used to have cottontail rabbits but haven't seen any the last couple of years. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 04-17-2009 7:52 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Forgot about the humming birds. They come through going to the mountains in the spring. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• 04-17-2009 7:58 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Pat:
    bluejay

That's the name of the blue birds here. For the life of me, I could not remember!

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 04-17-2009 10:51 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

I forgot scrub jays.  We have two pair of them that fly in and out of the yard. Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • 04-17-2009 11:06 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

We don't have scrub jays here, but I wish we did. We have Stellar's jays farther into the mountains, but only blue jays here.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• 04-17-2009 11:19 PM In reply to

I spent the afternoon watching my adorable cardinal tap at the living room window.

My hummingbird has not shown up.

I have crows, robins, finches, a hawk, an owl, mockingbirds, and other birds including blue birds.

When I lived in Newport News I had a lot of blue jays.

I've got deer, rabbits, squirrels, opposums, wild turkeys, and other critters also.

FYI: I live out in the country.

• 04-17-2009 11:29 PM In reply to

• Kim_150
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 10-05-2008
    • Green Bay, WI
    • Posts 525

I don't have a backyard, but when I visit my parents I love watching the animals in their yard... they live in a pretty developed suburb, but there is a small patch of wooded area in the neighborood, plus a few ponds, and I guess they attract animals!

They have a woodchuck living under a tree- at least that's what we think it is! There's a big owl that wanders around, it's about two feet fall walking on its feet. They see quite a few deer every year, a few foxes, and there is a small flock of wild turkeys that roams around. There are also really mean geese during migration season- they've even been known to chase after cars at times! 

• 04-18-2009 12:12 AM In reply to

I live in the country too, so I see quite a bit of wildlife around here. Deer, rabbits, wild turkeys, pheasant, sandhill cranes, blue heron, green heron, geese, wood ducks, mallard ducks, red tailed hawks, owls (have not seen, but hear them), red winged blackbirds, starlings, grackels, yellow finches, house finches, chick a dees, northern flickers, downey wood peckers, creepers, tufted titmouses, ceder waxwings, orioles, warblers of all kinds, cat birds, cow birds, too many different kinds of sparrows, cardinals, robins, blue jays, blue birds ( had one sitting on my car the other day LOL ), wrens, ruby throated humminbirds (haven't arrived yet, but due in a couple of weeks ). I have seen golden eagles flying back and forth in the field across the street, but have never seen a bald eagle yet. The ground hogs are out, so are the oppossums, the raccoons and skunks. They keep committing suicide on the roads around here, because I am seeing dead skunks all over. That's always a sign of spring. The spring peeper frogs and toads are filling the night with their loud mating calls. Killdeer. I als haven't seen the barn swallows yet, but they will arrive soon. I'm sure I have left some of them out, just can't think of anymore right now.

Kathy

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us