Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Refinishing a bathtub

Last post Sun, Apr 19 2009 12:02 PM by kabin. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 15 2009 11:55 AM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Refinishing a bathtub

Another question from a reader:

We have had our house up for sale for over a year, and have renewed our decluttering, painting up, fixing up, efforts.

The tub is not in the best shape.  We have done our best with it..but it just doesn't look very good.

I had an estimate of $600 to refinish it ...and that is $600 we don't have.

I know there is paint for tubs I found on line and  we can do this ourselves.  My question is..has anyone out there done this themselves? How hard is it? Did it look nice afterwards?  How did they do it?  AI suspect that most of the $600 is for labor.,

Please post if you can help. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Apr 15 2009 10:28 PM In reply to

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 4 2008
    • Posts 993

Re: Refinishing a bathtub

I haven't done it, but I know that in addition to a paint there is also a type of liquid enamel covering that I've been considering for my (awful) tub.  Theoretically it's supposed to leave a nice glossy finish.

"...for the happy heart, life is a continual feast. Better to have little, with fear for the Lord, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil." Proverbs 15:15b-16 NLT

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.--Winston Churchill
  • Wed, Apr 15 2009 10:34 PM In reply to

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 4 2008
    • Posts 993

Here's a "This Old House" video with bathtub refinishing instructions.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,1631531,00.html

Be sure to read the helpful comments on that page.  They mention several things that I wouldn't have thought about.

"...for the happy heart, life is a continual feast. Better to have little, with fear for the Lord, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil." Proverbs 15:15b-16 NLT

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.--Winston Churchill
  • Sat, Apr 18 2009 10:27 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Has anyone here refinished a bathtub?
    Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Sun, Apr 19 2009 12:02 PM In reply to

• kabin
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 29 2007
    • Indiana
    • Posts 1,618

I have 2 brothers in the business. One says you should have it done professionally, while the other says you can do it at home. I believe you can get the paint at Lowes or Home Depot. I know you have to scuff up the surface and use a spray gun to apply the paint. You will definitely want to use a mask and tape everything else off as good as you can. He refinished the tub and tiles in my dad's house before we sold it. It looked pretty nice. If you have tile you will need to reattach any tiles that are loose before you paint. He also used paint thinner to clean the surface right before painting. That's all I can think of right now. Good luck with your quest. I think it's like any other "DIY" project. The outcome will depend on the time and effert you put into it, but the end results can be amazing.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us