Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Using ammonia on dark clothes

Last post Sun, Jan 12 2014 6:40 PM by MarthaMFI2. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 6 2009 9:54 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Using ammonia on dark clothes

Here is a request from a reader who wants your advice:

How safe is it to use ammonia on dark colored clothing when combined with laundry detergent and water?  I've seen several different websites where they use this formula to get stains out, but I was always afraid the ammonia would fade the fabric.  Also, I've got some really bad stains on some dark colored clothes and I've tried your regular stain removers with no luck.  Any suggestions?  Thank you!!

Have you used ammonia on dark clothes? Is it safe? 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, Apr 6 2009 10:14 PM In reply to

Re: Using ammonia on dark clothes

I don't think I would use amonia on dark clothes because I would be afraid it would fade the color my sister-in-law taught me to make a paste out of regular powdered tide and water and rub it on the clothing and it will take out most stains PLEASE DO NOT USE TIDE WITH BLEACH.

• Tue, Apr 7 2009 3:29 AM In reply to

I've never heard of using ammonia on clothes.  Would the smell linger?

I use a product called "Holy Cow" (the pink one) and if needed I rub Fels Naptha on before laundering.  It has taken blueberry stains out of dress shirts and grass stains out of good pants.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Tue, Apr 7 2009 7:15 AM In reply to

• Jo Bo
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 23 2007
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 49

I volunteer in a Red Cross charity (thrift) shop and take some stained clothes home to wash, I find stains on dark clothing are often grease stains and come out very easily with a rub of bar soap and rubbing between my hands. I then wash in plain water, (I don't use detergent for any washing).
  • Tue, Apr 7 2009 7:35 AM In reply to

• allie
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 12 2008
    • Virginia
    • Posts 810

I have never used ammonia on laundry and have only used it with white rags when cleaning.

For stains, I have found that Pets N Kids works great!  I find it in cleaning department at Walmart with the products like Resolve and other carpet spot cleaners.  It's also available through Amazon.  I do recommend putting it into a spray bottle since it's easy to use too much with the squirt bottle it comes in.  My son had a brand new white t-shirt and got blueberry cobbler on it while eating. I thought that shirt was a goner but simply squirting Kids N Pets on it and a little scrubbing, then washing, and the stain was completely gone.  Please whatever you use, check the item before putting into a clothes dryer to ensure the stain is gone because the heat will set in the stain.

• Tue, Apr 7 2009 8:54 AM In reply to

I have used ammonia in laundry, but only towels. They were towels of all colors and I didn't notice fading or bleeding. I used the ammonia as a way to get the "musty" smell out of my towels and had great success. The ammonia smell did not linger and my towels were saved from becoming rags. I added a 1/2 cup ammonia to my wash water prior to adding the towels and used hot water, which isn't recommended for dark clothing.

I'm not sure how ammonia would work for regular clothing and laundry. I would try other stain treatments first.

Erika
  • Tue, Apr 7 2009 3:43 PM In reply to

I make a wonderful "Shout".

It is one part water

one part amonia

one part vinegar

one part commercial laundry soap.

I have used it on darks, and never had a problem with it.

• Wed, Apr 8 2009 11:11 PM In reply to

Linda Cecil,

What is the reason for not using Tide With Bleach?

Thank you!

• Mon, Apr 13 2009 12:57 AM In reply to

i used to use about a half cup of ammonia on my husband's greasy work clothes.  fading wasn't the problem- rotting the seal out of the bottom of the tub was!  he insists the ammonia rotted the rubber seal. $35 for the part, one saturday for the labor.

• Mon, May 4 2009 4:28 PM In reply to

What type of commercial laundry soap do you use?

For years I used to add 1/2 cup of ammonia to all of my loads (don't use bleach).  It is a great dissinfectant but I've not heard of it as a stain remover.  I use a recipe that has it in it for a household cleaner.

Bonnie

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us