Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Working at home

Last post Wed, Sep 5 2007 10:00 PM by my3bugs. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 7 2007 3:22 AM

Working at home

Hi Everyone,

Since I am a disabled person trying to find a full time job it has been very difficult. Does anyone know of a reputable source for working at home?

Times are tough now and every penny counts. I am good at working with the community and helping people get community services.  Worked with persons with disabilities. And was a receptionist and worked in financial aid for students in college. Just need something that is reputable. Too much false information given on the internet for working at home jobs.

Thank you,

Justice

• Tue, Aug 7 2007 5:56 AM In reply to

Re: Working at home

Hi Justice (what a cool name!)-

I haven't ever worked at home, but I know that work at home mom (of course you don't have to be a mom:) is a great website and resource. The website is

www.wahm.com

I know they have job listings that are updated most days from various sources. Also, check out the message boards and they have listings of people who make money from home, and also companies that hire customer service representatives from home. From what I've seen the best company to work for would be Alpine Access.

http://www.alpineaccess.com/external/index.html 

They don't hire in all states right now so I'm not sure if where you are is included. Check out the folder on the message board. They have people who post there that work for the company and I'm sure you could get more info from them.  I don't know if they pay enough for you, but might be worth checking out. I was going to do it, until life got crazy:)

Hope this helps- sorry I can't offer more help. I'm sure you'll get some great responses from this board. You have lots of great experience that would be useful to any company I'm sure. Good luck!

Jayne

• Tue, Aug 7 2007 10:50 AM In reply to

Dear Justice, Ask Pat about this, but I know that the NYTIMES' About.com sites are always looking for new topics & new moderators.  They pay, but I don't know how much.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Tue, Aug 7 2007 11:09 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

As Deb said, About.com is always looking for Guides for their topics. The last I heard, the pay was about $725 a month to start. You're paid according to results, so sometimes the work is long and hard, but not always. If you have a good topic and work it right, the potential for earning far more than that is there.

If you can write, though, there are lots of opportunities for that online. Content is still king - every web site needs it in some form or another. 

Look through some of the listings at http://www.ratracerebellion.com/  and keep an eye on Craigslist.com There are others that are legitimate, but it takes some work to find them.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Tue, Aug 7 2007 2:13 PM In reply to

• Gigi
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Posts 1,065

Create! Repair! Reinvent! Reassess!
  • Wed, Aug 8 2007 8:19 AM In reply to

I saw two skills in your message that might be useful on about.com.

Your experience in the financial aid department at the college. You could write articles on how to navigate that successfully. I was working with a financial aid department from March through July and it was a nightmare. These people lost an application for enrollment, did not return phone calls or emails, and so much more. I finally took to sending everything registered mail so I had proof that they got it. She did get a nice package when we were done, though.

Your experience in helping others access community services. There is a need for that.

willow.com is another work at home place, similar to alpine access.

I have a friend who makes a thousand a month selling scrapbooking eyelets on ebay. They are small, easy to ship, and inexpensive to purchase in bulk. She works full time and has a family. She does this around the edges of her time.

• Wed, Aug 8 2007 10:56 PM In reply to

Re: Working at home/Thank you

Hi everyone thank you so much for your wonderful advice. I am going to try them all and will let you know what happens.

Once again thank you.

Justice. 

• Thu, Aug 30 2007 7:09 PM In reply to

Does anyone know how to become an about.com writer? Thanks!

• Thu, Aug 30 2007 7:45 PM In reply to

• helen
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Posts 176

check out

http://beaguide.about.com

it has all the info  - check the link to 'available topics' to see if there is something up your alley. When you click on the topic in the list, it shows you the sort of quals they are looking for.

It also might be worth looking at ifreelance.com - I'm trying it out at the moment as I need some drawings that I don't have time to do myself. They have all sorts of jobs. Again its 'buyer beware' I think.

Helen

• Wed, Sep 5 2007 10:00 PM In reply to

• my3bugs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 3 2007
    • Posts 8

Hi Justice~

Here are some websites that came from Woman's Day magazine. I tried (checked) out a few and they are very legit. You have to fill out an application and a few have you take an online test (very easy and quick) and then they contact you. Here they are:

~  LiveOps.com

~  WestatHome.com

~  RepsforRent.com

~  Arise.com

~  WorkingSolutions.com

~  ACDDirect.com

Good luck!! Hope this helps some! Paradise

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us