Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Garage Sale Pricing

Last post 03-30-2009 1:34 PM by Brandy. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-23-2009 1:43 PM

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • Posts 983

Garage Sale Pricing

It's been awhile since I've had a garage sale, so I'm clueless about how to price things. I was wondering if some of you could help me?

Small sofa and loveseat

(Nice) wooden TV cabinet

Dresser

Small bookshelves

Wooden table and 4 chairs

Twin mattress and box spring

Desk

Small microwave

Coffeemaker (not programmable)

Crockpot

Lamps

Hand mixer

Well used pots and pans

Dishes

Electric drill

Pretty cardboard storage boxes

(Adult) Clothes

Coats

Shoes/boots

Decorative pictures

Assorted Knickknacks

Bedspread

Small suitcase

DVDs, VHS, CDs

Jewelry (Some nicer and some just for fun)

Thank you so much!!!   This would be a HUGE help!

"...for the happy heart, life is a continual feast. Better to have little, with fear for the Lord, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil." Proverbs 15:15b-16 NLT

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.--Winston Churchill
  • 03-23-2009 3:38 PM In reply to

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • Posts 983

Re: Garage Sale Pricing

Honestly, ANY input would help!  Do sofas go for $50 or $300?  Same for TV cabinets, dressers, nice table and chairs, jewelry, etc.

I'm thinking about $30 for the mattress and box spring set since I got them used for $50, and $50 for the desk, $25 for the microwave, $10 each for the coffeemaker, crockpot, mixer, toaster oven and drill, $1.50/pot or pan, 50 cents/dish, $2/item of clothing except coats for $5 and virtual rags which can go in a $1 rag bag. Maybe $20 each for the large pictures, $1-5 per knickknack, $5 for a bedspread, $10 for the small suitcase, $1 for VHS, $2 CDs, $1-3 DVDs.

How does that sound?

"...for the happy heart, life is a continual feast. Better to have little, with fear for the Lord, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil." Proverbs 15:15b-16 NLT

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.--Winston Churchill
  • 03-23-2009 3:45 PM In reply to

depending on the condition of each item

Small sofa and loveseat $50-100 each

(Nice) wooden TV cabinet $15-30 depending on size. Most people don't use these as tv storage any more because of the flat screen explosion

Dresser $15-30

Small bookshelves $5-10

Wooden table and 4 chairs this is a toughy depending on size and condition you could get $100- 300

Twin mattress and box spring $25-50

Desk $25-50

Small microwave $10

Coffeemaker (not programmable) $2

Crockpot- big nice $10, small nice $5, tiny popuri warmer $1

Lamps $4- 8 each

Hand mixer $2

Well used pots and pans $.50- $1 each

Dishes- if it's a set $10-15, if it's random plates .25 each

Electric drill- no clue on this one I don't even know what it costs new. sorry

Pretty cardboard storage boxes- $1-3 each

(Adult) Clothes $.25- .50 each

Coats $1-5 depending on how nice

Shoes/boots $1 a pair

Decorative pictures- this is another tough one, use your best judgment. $1- 10

Assorted Knickknacks .25- 50 for small, $1 each for large

Bedspread $10

Small suitcase $5

DVDs $1- 5, VHS .50-, CDs $1

Jewelry (Some nicer and some just for fun) fun jewelry- $1 each, nice jewelry$3-5, real jewelry take to a pawn shop.

this is what I'd pay or charge. It's a bit hard to price somethings with out seeing but I hope this helps.

cyn

• 03-23-2009 3:49 PM In reply to

Mimi:
    How does that sound?

GOOD!!! Big Smile

I put on my list for you the coffeemaker as $2 because you said it's not programable. You can get one at the Dollar General brand new for 5-10 depending on the sales.

cyn

• 03-23-2009 3:51 PM In reply to

Oh and I forgot to say leave room to bargain with people. Most people love to bargain at a yard sale, so tell yourself ahead of time how low are you willing to go? And be firm on things that you think are worth it.

cyn

• 03-23-2009 4:47 PM In reply to

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • Posts 983

Thank you SOOO much!  This is such a big help!

• 03-23-2009 8:21 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Mimi, have you checked some local thrift stores for their prices to see what the market value in your area is for second hand items? I would be inclined to price a little under that to be sure the items are moved and as another poster said, also at a rate I felt comfortable negotiating a little farther on.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 03-29-2009 11:05 PM In reply to

• Hana
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-30-2009
    • Posts 1

Wow, Cyn (goldenblaise) and All,

That was so nice of you to go out of your way for Mimi. :o) Looks like all she has to do now is get the stick-on tags. ;o) I bet that will help out other "garage sellers!" It's been too many years since I've held one.

In general, I think LOW prices are better, because with garage sale items, you don't want to have a pile of leftovers to haul away or repack up. But the better the deal, the more will flock up (humans!), and when you see a packed sale, it draws all drivers over. I grew up going to many bargain places all through the year, even pro ones, where it was a dollar a pound, so I hate when garage sales seen high priced.

Good Luck!

• 03-30-2009 9:41 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I went to a couple of yard sales this weekend.

goldenblaise:
     Small sofa and loveseat $50-100 each

I saw a metal futon for $50. It looked like the kind that Walmart sells for $120 with the cushion. I don't think that's worth $50 but a standard loveseat would be worth that definitely.

goldenblaise:
    Lamps $4- 8 each

Only one sale had lamps and they wanted $14.

goldenblaise:
    (Adult) Clothes $.25- .50 each

Adult clothes were $1-$5 a piece with coats at $15-$40. Children's clothes were .25-$1.

goldenblaise:
    Decorative pictures- this is another tough one, use your best judgment. $1- 10

There were some pictures for $15-$25 and decorative things starting at $2.

goldenblaise:
    Bedspread $10

$20 for the cheapest.

Many people walked away with very little in hand.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 03-30-2009 10:20 AM In reply to

This thread was helpful to me as I'm pricing items for a tag sale next weekend.   My objective is to declutter and it looks like I'm on track with lower pricing.   I did price a few items with room to negotiate.   These are things that I won't donate if they don't sell.

I have a lot of kids clothes that are new with tags - I will probably price them a little over what was recommended here but will negotiate lower - esp for a bulk sale.

Dawn
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us