Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Selling Things for Extra Cash

Last post 03-31-2009 10:25 AM by Misty. 30 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-22-2009 5:45 PM In reply to

Re: Selling Things for Extra Cash

I sold $250 worth of homeschool material this month, both on an online site and on ebay.

I got $48 this month from the consignment store, for other misc books that did not sell, and clothing.

I usually try to judge what will bring the best price online, and the other stuff I take to the consignment store.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 03-22-2009 5:46 PM In reply to

I just remembered...the big stuff I sell at an annual consignment auction.

I sold my van on craigslist for $100 MORE than I was asking for it!

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 03-23-2009 12:04 AM In reply to

Cinnamon- you rule when it comes to selling- I still think the deal on your car was fabulous.   

Tracy
    Beginning Debt Slayer

• 03-23-2009 11:58 AM In reply to

I've posted before about our CraigsList luck. We sold an old dog kennel and weight set that DH couldn't seem to (1) use, lol and (2) get to fit in our basement. We also sold an old table and mis-matched buffet for $25. Total on those 3 listings was over $200.

We have reasonable luck with garage sales. Nothing huge but about $200. We run for one day and sell what we think will sell. The rest, I donate and get the tax deduction. We usually have a couple of "bigger" things to sell to help draw in people (microwave, old gas grill, patio furniture, bikes, furniture, etc). Then the rest we make up with clothes, books, toys, etc.

Erika
  • 03-26-2009 11:09 AM In reply to

I was ready to throw in the garage sale towel last year, when 80% of my stuff didn't sell.  Then a new consignment store opened up for gently used furniture and accessories and she loves my stuff!  I made an additional $100, sold all my stuff and she is asking for more.

Also, we moved into a new home with a 4-stall garage - heaven!  I have tons of stuff that doesn't fit our new home, plus we have an annual clean up week where everyone throws out some pretty good stuff.  I cruise around in our old pickup and get items that are either in good shape, or just need a little TLC.  Half my furniture in my house is curbside finds that I've fixed up - it is amazing what people throw away! 

Now I'm excited all over again about the huge garage sale I'm going to have this spring - if spring ever comes here.  [Flooding Fargo, ND with over 7" of new snow]  

The Discount Diva
    "Enrich Your Life by Spending Less"
    http://shaunna67.tripod.com/id21.html
  • 03-26-2009 11:42 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Discount Diva:
    Now I'm excited all over again about the huge garage sale I'm going to have this spring - if spring ever comes here. 

Good luck with the weather. I hope you do well with a sale.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 03-26-2009 3:49 PM In reply to

Good luck with the sale.  It is always helpful to be able to keep things set up so you can open up at the spur of the moment when a neighbor has a sale and you can take advantage of their ad by putting up some signs.

Roberta 

• 03-26-2009 4:45 PM In reply to

I'm planning our sale, too!  I got the husband to designate a space in the barn that I can stack the things I want to sell.  I've been scrounging so much on Craigslist, replacing little bits of yucko furniture we had from our apartments-- when we lived in apartments, we just used whatever, and now we have a house, so I want it to be nicer-- that I have 4 or 6 pieces of small furniture to go. 

I also have a terrible habit of acquiring sewing machines for cheap and making them fixable, and I really need to part with some of them.  It's silly. 

• 03-29-2009 8:13 PM In reply to

We have sold lots of electronics on e-bay. When my husband wanted a new computer, he sold his lapidary equipment for twice what he paid for it and sold his old computer. He was able to make enough money to pay for the new computer. We have been looking around the house to find stuff to sell on e-bay since my husband was laid off in January. He's sold some old hard drives, some cables, BROKEN i-pods, and his Blu-ray player. We've sold books on Amazon. At one time we would buy books for the express purpose of reselling them on Amazon. It didn't have much of a profit margin. I have some jewelry that I want to sell, but haven't done it yet. A local TV station did some research and I know now where I'll get the best price for my jewelry--a local jeweler. The TV people found that the people at pawnshops and in hotel rooms were much lower than the local jewelers. Thanks for the info that someone put up that they had sold a motorcycle on Craig's list. We'll try that. We haven't had much luck with Craig's list previously. We'd get e-mails from interested people, and then they never sent a response to our reply. We don't live where a yard-sale is an option. There's no where for shoppers to park. I'm not sure I have the time to deal with consignment stores, I'm the primary source of income now--so I work as many hours as possible.
  • 03-30-2009 8:02 AM In reply to

If times get too desperate, and there's nothing else to sell off, try selling these things that are also "around the house" sort of...well, inside you:  blood, sperm, and/or eggs.  Eggs are the most valuable, coming in at $25k-$50k per harvest, while blood follows at about $50 per donation for a rare type, and sperm runs about $25 per donation.

Page 2 of 4 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us