Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Selling Things for Extra Cash

Last post Tue, Mar 31 2009 10:25 AM by Misty. 30 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (31 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 20 2009 1:23 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Selling Things for Extra Cash

I have often seen the suggestion to sell unwanted items around the house for a little extra cash. It does seem like a good way to get rid of some clutter and have some funds.

I have been able to make a little here and there with consignment sales and a couple of yard sales but it was not in really large amounts. I usually only have items to dump when there are big events like an infant transitioning to toddler and toddler to older child.

What things have you found and done well with selling?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Fri, Mar 20 2009 2:23 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Re: Selling Things for Extra Cash

Since books seem to multiply on their own here, I have sold them on Amazon or traded them at a used bookstore for credit for other books.

At one time when I was younger and more energetic, I would go to garage sales, especially those that advertised baby clothes, and buy the nicest ones for the lowest price I could and take them to a local consignment store. Baby clothes are always in demand, it seems.

And one time I sold a piano we brought back from Singapore but I didn't play any more.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Fri, Mar 20 2009 3:20 PM In reply to

I sell lots of stuff!!

On ebay . . . clothes that the kids have outgrown, books, some household items, shoes, and some toys, video games, dvds, etc!

On craigslist . . . larger items like furniture, outdoor play equipment we didn't need, a bike, suitcases, a kayak, a motorcycle even!  Smaller things that were too heavy for ebay like some tools my DH had.  Things that weren't worth selling on ebay like older video games and dvds.

For me, if I think it's worth $5 or more, it's worth my time to sell it.  If not, it gets donated.  I never do garage/yard sales . . . too much work!  If I see something that needs a new home, I sell it at the time.  In the past, I've had boxes of things to sell when we had a garage sale and they just kept building up.  Now, if it's worth selling, I sell it, if not, I donate it asap.

Am trying desperately to reduce my clutter habit!

• Fri, Mar 20 2009 3:45 PM In reply to

Everything around here has been handed down to us, pretty much, so is pretty worn.

I tried three garage sales for three weeekends last summer, with friends, I had lots of clothes.  I think I made $18 total.  People want clothes for 10 or 25 cents.   I pass things on and donate to the 25 cent thrift store here, where I get clothes!  

I buy books for $2 a bag at the library sale, and donate them back.  Cheaper than fines.   

I don't have luck selling anything.   

Tracy
    Beginning Debt Slayer

• Fri, Mar 20 2009 3:54 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

latenightleader:
    Everything around here has been handed down to us, pretty much, so is pretty worn.

That's the problem I have too as can be seen by the recliner which has a broken arm and has been covered with a bedsheet that can no longer be used as such due to some holes. But never fear, the holes are nicely hidden by tucking that part in!

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Fri, Mar 20 2009 6:25 PM In reply to

I haven't sold anything recently but 2 of the things we sold were a dog pen 10 x 10 and we got almost as much money as we paid for it and the other thing we sold we a car and we made $700.00 over the cost to pay it off so we were pretty happy about the sale we ran both items in the newspaper and the dog pen sold in 1 day and the car in 3 days.

• Fri, Mar 20 2009 11:38 PM In reply to

We've sorta liquidated in the last couple months and were able to pay off two small credit cards, plus update our TV so we don't have to have either cable or a converter box.

We took in a bunch of old, broken and just unwanted gold jewelry and got about $200.00.  We didn't hang back, I even took some things my mil gave me years ago that I never liked (and neither did she or she wouldn't have given it away, believe me!).  Not to sound like a commercial, but I was floored what it all added up to!  Check your class rings, some are worth quite a lot...

We took in a truckload of scrap metals from around the yard, garage and basement and got about $100.00.  Even some old brands of cookware is worth something as scrap.

I got $75.00 for some homeschool books.

Some small savings bonds I thought we had added up to over $1000.00!  I know it's not selling anything, just throwing it out there in case someone has some tucked away - go add them up!

Dh had $300.00 in change in his 'retirement' jar.  Ok, so he can't retire anytime soon, but it helped shave off some payments we'd been making.

We requested and got a refund on some software that wouldn't install.

We got $150.00 in rebates for switching phone and internet providers.

I think we're done, lol, but I'll let you know what else I uncover...Liz

• Sat, Mar 21 2009 8:23 AM In reply to

• mikasha
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 23 2009
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 238

I went on a selling spree a few months ago. We sold through our local Kijiji site which is pretty much like craiglist but more popular in our city. They have free listings and we always have people pick up the items we sold so all we had to do was wait for a buyer and set up a time.

So far we've sold: a bunch of board games, an older video game console with the games, some older computer parts from when DH upgraded his computer, a weight bench that despite our best intentions never got used, a handheld vaccuum, some VHS movies, collectible Christmas ornaments and sports memorabilia. We also gave away an older computer for parts to be used for a children's charity and an older stereo system that was not working that well to a young man who was taking a home electronics course and wanted to try to fix it for a project. It was so nice to clear out the clutter and know that the stuff was going to be used by people who wanted it. The best thing was we made about $500 total.

I still want to sell some books, computer games and CD's but I might take them to stores in town that sell used products.

I use Ebay to sell things if I think the item is worth a decent amount of money. A few years ago we had two video games from an old system (SuperNintendo). I listed on Ebay worldwide and someone in Italy paid $180 for the two games! We had paid about one third of that for them when they were new and played the heck out of them. But he wanted them and gave me a positive comment when he received them. I was pretty happy about that sale! Big Smile

"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have." Friedrich Gottlob Koenig
  • Sat, Mar 21 2009 1:53 PM In reply to

• ArielDawn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 26 2008
    • Connecticut
    • Posts 560

I have had luck on craigslist with baby equipment and furniture.   I used to sell on ebay - mostly collectibles, books, etc.   We're having a tag sale the first week of April at my parents house and I'm realizing I have a ton of stuff to sell - kids clothes, home decor items, books, household items (dishes, platters, small appliances I don't use, some kids toys as well as a lot of the collectibles I used to pick up for reselling - something that I just don't have the time to do.

I think that lately the items that sell best are NEED related - which is why I'm hoping to get rid of all my extra collectibles by tag saleing as they just don't seem to be moving on ebay and it isn't worth my time.   Baby gear, kids clothes (I don't think baby clothes do as well as some of the older kids items), games, toys, bikes, yard toys.   My parents have nabbed us two awesome plastic picnic tables for the kids for $3-5 each.

I also think any type of tools - esp power tools, lawn mowers, etc.  

Dawn
  • Sat, Mar 21 2009 2:22 PM In reply to

I haven't had any luck with having a yard sale in my neighborhood. Last time only 2 people stopped lol. Now instead of having a yardsale I look over my local freecycle site to see if anything I have can be used then take the rest of my stuff to Goodwill or Salvation Army and get a recipt. We use the recipts on our taxes. The down side is no ready cash in my hand, the upside is I didn't have to sit in my front yard for 8 hours watching my kids sneak things back into the house lol.

cyn

Page 1 of 4 (31 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us