Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

How to remove the smell of Febreeze from wood

Last post Tue, Jun 17 2014 10:34 PM by maxmiller. 24 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 27 2013 11:23 AM In reply to

• Frampt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 27 2013
    • Posts 1

Re: How to remove the smell of Febreeze from wood

Mary Hunt from Everydaycheapskate.com reccomends a product called Nok-Out which removes odors.
  • Wed, Mar 27 2013 7:49 PM In reply to

We moved into a home where the pet smell was so bad, the carpet had to be torn up and you could see on the bottom that there were so many stain marks from pee etc. in painting the house we used Kilz and then sprayed odor ban. We also used refresh paint which can only be bought from Sears and it absorbs odors. We did wipe down the awful room with bleach, we actually sprayed it on and then wiped it up. My husband is almost done refurbishing the kitchen which also smelled and used something called TSP, which I think is available in Home Depot, Lowes etc. we washed the wood fooring with Murphy's oil soap. Well the results are that the smell is completely gone!!! Maybe the TSP would be the best to clean it with? It is supported to remove deep down dirt and is also one of the first steps in refurbishing cabinets when you are going to paint them. Good luck!
  • Tue, Apr 2 2013 10:20 AM In reply to

Oh, how I hate Febreze! Product history is that the original was odor-free. If it really was "all that", then the scentless version would have had a great niche market. I took on a mink drape which had been sprayed by a tomcat, and Febreze was useless. The combined odors were murderous.
  • Tue, Apr 2 2013 12:39 PM In reply to

I had great luck with using  charcoal  and then with Kilz  ..  

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• Tue, Jun 17 2014 10:34 PM In reply to

I am using natural way to get rid of those smell, I find this idea alone to get rid of the same kind of smell of the natural exterior wood doors that I bought years back at caldwells.com, an online door shop with a showroom at Bay Area in San Francisco.

Here is the quick guide.
    (it can be use for all type of wood in the house, eg. cabinet, windows, doors, walls, tables and chairs. etc. It is also good if you can remove the woods out side the house as all operations will be much better to be done outdoor)

Things to use.
    *water
    *vinegar
    *fabric conditioner or scented oil
    *liquid soap ( I used diswashing liquid)
    *soft brush

Things to do.
    1. Initially brush woods with liquid soap and water. Use water host to cleanse evenly.
    2. Boil a liter of water then add vinegar. You gonna only use warm water, but be sure that you still smell the soury vinegar. Then pour it to the woods evenly. Let it dry for a little for the vinegar chemicals get inside the wood.
    3. Put another water in the pail and add fabric conditioner or scented oil, then wash it to the door evenly as it will be the final process. Let the the wood sip it until dry.

This process will get rid of any type of wood smell, and this one can be done maybe every year to protect your wood furnishings.
Page 3 of 3 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 3

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us