Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Vertical blinds

Last post Fri, Aug 5 2011 4:14 AM by Donald. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 11 2009 1:36 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Vertical blinds

Has anyone updated them successfully? A reader is changing the colors of her living room and the existing vertical blinds won't match. Since they're custom made she wants to update them. Can you do it? Do they sell just the panels so you can replace them? Or can the panels be changed? 

Thanks for any advice!  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Mar 11 2009 1:55 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 4 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Re: Vertical blinds

I wonder if Lowes or Home Depot sells replacement blinds without the hardware? I don't know if they can be painted.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Wed, Mar 11 2009 3:31 PM In reply to

Pat, I beleive you can paint vertical blinds but to be sure I would either ask at lowe's or home depot about it you can also do a google search for vertical blinds and there are a lot of ideas for vertical blinds there hope this helps a little.

• Wed, Mar 11 2009 4:41 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

There were vertical blinds when I moved in here that were covered in a sort of plastic sleeve. They had put wallpaper in it and it looked pretty good. I know it was wallpaper because I found the rest of the roll. I don't know if they're all made that way or not. I tried to change it, but made a mess of it, so there has to be some trick to it. I'm not fond of vertical blinds so I got rid of them and put up curtains. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, Mar 16 2009 2:25 AM In reply to

• isabella
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 16 2009
    • Posts 2

I just did a google search for "96 inch long vertical blind panels" and got a lot of hits, including blindsanddrapery.com, which seems to have 96 in. panels.

96 in (as opposed to 95) is a standard drapery length. 

You can try all the places that came up in the google search and, I don't know if this was listed, but JC Penney CATALOG (jcp.com; NOT THE STORE) has made to measure window coverings of all kinds, including verticals.

If you decide to try painting them, be sure to use paint that is suitable for the panel material, eg, fabric paint for fabric, plastic paint for vinyl, etc.  If you can't find them, go to a good size craft store or search online.

Good luck.

• Mon, Mar 16 2009 8:50 AM In reply to

• Jane_b
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • Posts 141

Lowe's and probably Home Depot sells just the slats in different colors and textures. I just redid mine in a tan with a (tan) leaf print. It looks great with my new wall paint job. They didn't cost that much and took only a few minutes to change out. Cost will depend on length and style of course, but it is a great update for a lowish cost.

• Fri, Aug 5 2011 4:14 AM In reply to

• Donald
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 22 2010
    • Posts 2

Lately I've been doing some search on the right type of blinds to use in an office. After reading this post featuring an overview on window blinds - http://www.calt.insead.edu/LivingLab/CareerGuide/Wiki/index.php?pagename=AddingPages - I decided in just a blink of an eye on vertical blinds. I thought I should share it, maybe there someone else in here half-hearted about the type of blinds suitable for his/her interiors. Cheers

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us