Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Benefits of a tight economy

Last post 04-04-2009 11:48 PM by seaturtle. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-10-2009 11:34 AM

Benefits of a tight economy

Looking on the bright side, I have started eating less and I have actually dropped a couple of pounds.  I am excited!  It is not easy to do but I'm doing it.

I figured that at 40 I don't need as much food intake if I'm eating well.  There is more food for the rest of the family and my waistline is getting smaller.  I reduced my cooking during the time that DH was out of town working.  Now that he is back, I figured he could have my meal and I can have some green tea with toast and I am full.  This is not foreign to me since I grew up in South America and tea with toast is very common in the late afternoon. 

If you have experienced any "benefits" during this time, share them with us!  Let's all look on the bright side!

Carmina 

• 03-10-2009 1:10 PM In reply to

• mikasha
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-23-2009
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 238

Re: Benefits of a tight economy

Less hours working means less money but it also means more time to get things done here at home.

I'm caught up on mending and hemming and all the other sewing tasks I kept forgetting I wanted to get done. I even did some home repairs that poor DH just never has time for (he's still working full-time thankfully).

I've had time to try making homemade whole wheat bread and found out it really isn't as hard as I thought it would be. It's better for us, tastes really good and I know what's in it. Best of all, it's actually cheaper than store-bought, even the generic store brands.

I've had time to sell some stuff that we never use and we kept meaning to sell.

Some days I feel like I'm going stir crazy but then I'll receive some work to do and I settle in again. I'm hoping that I don't have to find a second job but even that might be a good thing - at least I could get out of the house and meet some new people. Working at home does get lonely sometimes.

"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have." Friedrich Gottlob Koenig
  • 03-10-2009 9:29 PM In reply to

By not eating out as much we have extra time at home in the evenings. I'm spending more time playing with DD in her room with her toys. I'm hoping that we benefit by not as many people being at Disney World when we're there next year. I am looking forward to everything about the trip except the crowds!
  • 03-11-2009 4:11 PM In reply to

Dear All, Over the course of the current recession, I've been learning ways to maintain my countable assets at less than $2K, as required by Medicaid,   (SNAP/Food Stamps seems to be in a transition to a higher level of countable asssets, due to recent legislation.)  while still saaving money.  I think it's a conservative estimate that I have $500 of stored food, & since most of it is grains & legumes, it will stretch a very long way.  Food Stamps accepts my total $44/mo payment to Paratransit as a medical expense, I suppose under the theeory that my lack of balancing ability makes me need taxi scrip, instead of restricting the deduction to trips to medical appts.  The money that I give away to charity has increased markedly over the past year, & I feel such satisfaction in helping people (I've given to SmileTrain, Heifer International, an animal welfare agency, a meals-on-wheels service, & a number of Jewish charities that support ill children.), that it feels like saaavings.  After alll, I must somehow be putting aside more if I can afford to give $18 every 6 weeks or so.  Although I am always talking about buying books, I actually have made it a rule to take a book out of the Library before buying it (well, Trent Hamm's blog which I read faithfully in the form of his e-letter, easillly persuaded me to buy his 2 books.), & thus have markedly cut down on that expense.  I also have cut down on my other sink-hole, sewing expenditures.  Home-Sew/Newark Dressmaking Supply is getting much less of my cash than before.  ....

I could say more, but my aide is ready to open my curtain rods with me -- they arrived in just 2 days, so I'll cut this short!  Yours in HIm, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• 03-11-2009 6:15 PM In reply to

Dear All, Now, post-handling the unpacking of the curtain rods & cooking kasha & cooking Pigeon Peas with Yoghurt & Spices, I can "say more."  Because I have gotten the administration of my personal physician's, Peter's, office to deposit my $600 check to him within a week or so, I am no longer getting months of double-whammy, my $1,112 Social Security in without a corresponding decrease fo $600, causing my balance to be high.  There even were a month when Peter's office hadn't cashed checks for 2 months, causing my balance to be up by $1,200, AND a month when 2 Social Security checks were credited on the same checking accoutn statement.  The latter I am helpless to avoid, but the former is now a thing of the past.  (Anyhow, Medicaid officials could easily be persuaded during a month when 2 Social Security checks were credited, that that was an artificial inflation of my "asssets.")  Because of htis, I am not being forced to "spend down" to get my balance below $2K in a hurry. 

Yours in Him, Deb

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• 03-31-2009 8:53 AM In reply to

1. With less money to go out, we have more opportunities to enjoy each other's company at home
    2. The quality of our food intake has improved - less junk food, more nurtritious homecooked meals
    3. We are inspired to get more creative with what we have, rather than rushing out to buy new.   DD16 and I are having a ball finding new ways to wear the clothes and accessories we already have.  I want to re-decorate certain rooms, but I'm going to use what I have differently instead of rushing out to buy!
    4. Sad for retailers, but the drastic discounts are great for shoppers who have the cash to take advantage of the deals
    5. We're becoming more neighbourly - sharing our time and resources with others.
    6. The society is moving away from less conspicuous consumption (the tacky showing-off era has come to an end!)

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • 03-31-2009 1:12 PM In reply to

People don't seem to think that my obsessive coupon-clipping and sale shopping is as pointless as they use to think. When I started this, a couple years ago, people would just tune me out when I'd talk about my coupons or what I got on sale or what I got for free. I felt like the biggest dork. LOL. Now, even if they aren't doing it themselves yet, they do seem interested and want to know how I do it.

Have a blessed day,

Julie

• 03-31-2009 6:19 PM In reply to

Dear Alll, I was just reading in the current issue of THE WEEK, that shopping malls all around the country are shuttingtheir doors.  The anchor tenants like Sears & JCPenney's are moving out, & then there are no visitors to the mall to stop by neighboring stores.  What does this mean for the future?  That maybe the only thing folks will really miss about the closed malls is that you could go power-walking in cold weather inside with the heat, in hot weather with the A/C.  THis would certainly be a benefit of a tight economy, that folks will "have to" patronize mom-&-pop stores instead of spending megabucks for the Big Daddies.  Yours in Him, Deb

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• 03-31-2009 6:20 PM In reply to

Cuz is letting me plant herbs and greens in one of the landscape beds--says if I can harvest any before it's all stolen, it's all mine (and his).

I now have an acceptable excuse for saving money, instead of looking like Old Lady Scrooge.  This includes delaying the purchase of junk snacks.

I can cook beans twice a week without catching h***.  His buddies eat the beans instead of stripping the fridge or inveigling him into a fast food run.  If I eat beans 4x a week, I will definitely lose weight--and it is coming off.

• 04-02-2009 12:52 PM In reply to

We are getting by with what we have and we buy only the necessary things.  Our family likes to watch movies once a week.  I used to go to Blockbuster and spend almost $5 for a new release movie and a "free" non new release once a week.  Now I go to Redbox, spent $1 and I sometimes it's "free".

My internet service was bought by another company.  I called them for a deal for internet and phone.  Now I will pay $50 for both services.  Before I was paying $90 for both (different companies, in our are there a few choices).  They were trying to sell me their TV package but now I get TV free with converter boxes, no need to worry about that!

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us