Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Growing Sprouts

Last post Wed, Feb 25 2009 3:17 AM by Virginia Needlewoman. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 23 2009 9:07 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Growing Sprouts

I saw a mention of sprouts in other threads and Dollar Stretcher articles. Not having a clear idea of what these were, I passed right by the info. While looking over my seed catalogues yesterday, I encountered sprouts and information that held me.

We eat salad almost daily. I don't often buy a lot of extras to add to them due to price and the fact that I am the one who really enjoys eating a great variety of things in mine. Would sprouts be a an easy, affordable and healthy option for me? I was wondering if I could substitute sprouts for trying to grow things like radish this year to free up time and containers for other things that we all eat.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Feb 23 2009 9:56 AM In reply to

Re: Growing Sprouts

Yes, Brandy, sprouts are great!  They ahve all the nutrition of the legume/seed that you sprout + chlorophyl & phytochemicals!  Jsut don't use agricultural seeds -- unless organic, you'd be poisoning yourself with pesticides.  You can buy alfalfa, radish, & msutard seeds, all in the bulk section of a whole foods/health foods store.  You can sprout mung beans (Chinese bean sprouts), soybeans, triticale, red/lima/fava/kidney bean seeds, split peas, chia seeds, wheatberries or wheat grass, fenugreek, & lentils.  A book by James Talmadge Stevens called MAKING THE BEST OF BASICS:  FAMILY PREPAREDNESS HANDBOOK has a long chapter on sprouting, with handy charts.  You can get it throgh your Library &/or Inter-Library Loan.  Google sprouting seeds & Google sprouting beans, & I'll bet that you'll get lots of tips.  Love in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Mon, Feb 23 2009 10:30 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Deborahmichelle:
    Google sprouting seeds & Google sprouting beans, & I'll bet that you'll get lots of tips

I wasn't impressed with the first two sites I found. I didn't have time yet to read farther but I intend to. I am limited to the internet or purchasing books for information.

Deborahmichelle:
    ou can buy alfalfa, radish, & msutard seeds, all in the bulk section of a whole foods/health foods store

I am not sure I will find this in my area. I haven't checked all the possibilities yet but I am finding there are two different definitions when it comes to health food and natural. I can find bottles of garlic supplement, cold remedy syrups made with natural ingredients, Tom's of Maine's and Burt's Bees aplenty. Whole and bulk foods are another thing entirely.

I am still looking though.

• Mon, Feb 23 2009 11:31 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

SproutPeople 

is a good site for learning as well as ordering seeds.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, Feb 23 2009 11:47 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Thank you Pat. That looks better than the sites I found.

• Tue, Feb 24 2009 8:04 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

My preference was alfalfa; the seeds were smaller and the sprouts were tender. I used a canning jar with nylon net spread over the top and a canning ring holding it down then rinsed them twice a day. I hid them under a bag in between rinsings.  I sprouted Wheat berries, but they were too coarse and spiky.  Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Tue, Feb 24 2009 8:26 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Edey:
    sprouted Wheat berries, but they were too coarse and spiky.

I tried barley but didn't care for them, either. They weren't spiky, but they were dense and hard to chew.  I'm going to try bean sprouts one of these days, but I have to plan ahead for a way to use them.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Feb 25 2009 3:17 AM In reply to

I've grown sprouts in the past. I used to buy the made for  sprouting seeds from Park Seed in SC.

We used them in salads.

I grew mung beans and alfalfa(spelling).

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us