Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Simple Living or Frugal?

Last post 08-01-2007 10:45 PM by kabin. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-01-2007 1:21 PM

Simple Living or Frugal?

Create! Repair! Reinvent! Reassess!
  • 08-01-2007 2:12 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,458

Re: Simple Living or Frugal?

Gigi:
    For me, Simple Living and Frugal do go hand in hand, because I include time and quality of life as well as economics in my definitions.

Time and quality of life are more important than money. Can anyone argue that? Living frugally means that you don't have to go along with what you're supposed to do or want or buy - you can focus on what's truly important to you. I think that's the gist of living simply, too.

Our culture is a cluttered one, with all sorts of "experts" telling us how to spend our money, how and where to work, what we want to eat and wear and listen to and creating goals for us. When we learn to turn that off and listen to ourselves, we can have a simple and frugal life.

Now, taking your example of growing and canning being more complicated than running to the store... look a little closer at that. "Running to the store" involves a lot of things. First, you or someone will have had to work to make the money you spend at the store. You will have to have transportation. If you use a car, you have to have bought it at some point... more money. Then you need to be sure it has insurance - not only more money, but the hassle of finding an agent and a company, keeping premiums up to date, etc. Going to the store means you have to navigate traffic, which is not always simple in itself. 

Now... let's say you got the green beans from your own garden. You bought or saved the seeds, tilled the soil, planted, weede and watered them. Then you picked them and cooked them. 

I know this is an extreme example, but which is simpler? Smile

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 08-01-2007 4:15 PM In reply to

<

Create! Repair! Reinvent! Reassess!
  • 08-01-2007 5:56 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,458

Gigi:
    part of the quality of life is to remove as much stress as possible.

I think that's simple living in a nutshell. People may think they have different reasons, but at the core of it, they're just looking for less stress and more personal fulfillment.

I've done almost the exact same thing as you- no TV, no newspapers, very few magazines. I've put about 20,000 miles on my car in 7 years, so you could say I don't drive much. I work at home, so that helps.

I think simple and frugal are not necessarily the same for everyone, but one enhances the other.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 08-01-2007 6:11 PM In reply to

I do not have a TV or a microwave, do not subscribe to a newspaper (read online).  I do subscribe to 3 magazines that I have gotten at bargain prices (WOMAN'S DAY, READER'S DIGEST I love.  GOOD HOUSEKEEPING I'm not going to renew.)  We walk to the grocery store (with a grocery cart).  I think that I live both simply & frugally.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• 08-01-2007 10:45 PM In reply to

To me, living frugaly is to watch my pennies and try to have a beter life with less. Also, living simple is to not be out running around buying stuff. I don't particulary like being out in the world that much anyway. I like where I live and don't feel the need to buy more stuff all of the time, but lately it's been a little more tough sticking to my budget with my grandson living here. That is all going to change as I tighten up the purse strings again.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us