Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

how to buy an adjustable bed

Last post 02-17-2009 3:13 PM by Sublime One. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-06-2009 1:17 PM

• Evie_M
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-06-2009
    • Posts 4

how to buy an adjustable bed

Have any of you purchased an adjustable bed? If so, do you have any advice for me? I am thinking about getting one. I live alone so it would be a single bed.

Evie

• 02-06-2009 4:11 PM In reply to

Re: how to buy an adjustable bed

This is a good place to ask questions, but consider typing in the name brands of the beds you are considering and see what comes up. You may find several review type entries that have both positive and negative comments. The negative comments give you some things to consider before committing. Also check in Consumer Reports magazines (at your local library or on-line). Good Luck.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • 02-06-2009 8:39 PM In reply to

Are you tallking about an air bed with an adjustable mattress?  Or a mechanical bed that lets you sit up and the like? 

I suggest that  you go to a store that sells them and try them out, same as you would any other mattress.  Is it comfortable? Are the controls easy to use?  How's the height? (don't want to fall out of bed every morning, LOL)   Would you need someone to come out and set it up for you?

Don't forget to check out warranties, too.

• 02-07-2009 12:36 AM In reply to

• Evie_M
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-06-2009
    • Posts 4

I want a bed that you can sit up in and raise your knees like a hospital bed. I have been reading about them online. I wondered if anyone had one and how they liked it over the long run. Did it sleep comfortably? I am wondering about the springs. I notice that they have flat springs or slats. At least it looks like slats or strips of some kind. Do you get tired of them? I actually like to sleep sitting up in my recliner better than laying flat in a bed.

I have GERD and I am supposed to elevate the head of my bed. That doesn't work very well. I have a very small bedroom so I have to move the bed away from the wall to change the sheets. Whenever I move the bed, it falls off the risers. I get tired of picking the bed up and putting it back up on the risers every time I change the sheets. I thought that if I had an adjustable bed, I could raise up the top and sleep sitting up. I could also raise the knees a little so I wouldn't slide out the bottom of the bed like I do now sometimes. I also like the idea of a bed on wheels so I could move it easier.

I think that I will look at some local stores and see if they sell adjustable beds. I assumed that I would have to buy a hospital bed until I looked on the web. Then I found out that you can buy adjustable beds that are not hospital beds.

I am anxious to hear from anyone who regularly sleeps on one. Evie

• 02-17-2009 3:13 PM In reply to

I'm new to this forum but I saw your message on my Dollar Stretcher newsletter and just had to respond. 

I've had a queen size adjustable bed for about 2 and a half years now.  And I LOVE IT!  Mine is a Tempur Pedic adjustable bed so part of the reason I love it is the Tempur Pedic mattress.  But I did try other beds before buying this one and learned that the mechanism that makes them adjustable is generally made by one company - Leggett & Platt.  They make a good product (and they are really the only ones who do) but it's not perfect.

Here's what I know.

Shop when you have time.  Don't just sit on the bed for a minute or two.  Lay there for 20-30 minutes in the position you plan to sleep in.  If the sales guy rushes you, leave the store.  We spend a third of our lives in bed and you deserve to be comfortable.  Don't be shy about taking as long as you need.

Try the Tempur Pedic mattress but only if you weigh more than 150 pounds.  These mattresses seem to be a real problem for skinny people.  I think it's because they never sink down to the special layer of memory foam that makes Tempur Pedic so special.  Also, these beds cost more.  A lot more.  But if you have a doctor who can "prescibe" the bed, you might be able to get some insurance thing to pay for a part of it.  And they are worth every penny, in my opinion.

Try all the beds available in your area.  All the different brands.  Because your body is different than anyone elses and you need to be comfortable.

Make sure the base is Leggett & Platt.  They are really the only ones making good quality bases these days.  Knock off mattresses can be OK because it's a pretty basic thing but the base is what you will use to raise and lower the head & feet every day so it takes a lot of wear and tear.   If it isn't a L&P then search the maker on the net thoroughly before you buy.  There may be different makers in your area but I did a lot of research before I bought and L&P made all the bases for the beds I looked into.

Be prepared for the occasional repair.  Make sure that you find out who does repairs in your area and get a warranty for as long as you can on the base.  These are mechanical devices.  There are wheels and cogs and a motor and stuff that can break down.  Repairs are really inevitable.  Even extremely pricey hospital beds get repaired sometimes.  It's unavoidable.  So you want to be prepared.

Try and get a 30 day trial period before you buy.  Lots of places will let you return the bed if you aren't happy after 30 days.  I say this because it can be an adjustment actually sleeping in one of these beds.  And they aren't for everyone.

You'll definitely need to keep your knees raised at night a bit if you have your head up.  If you don't, you may find that you develop hip and lower back problems.  Mine has a couple of pre-sets on the remote.  One of them is just about perfect for me.  It raises my head to about a 60 degree angle and my knees up just enough to take the pressure off my lower back.  It's like being cradled by the bed.  My only problem is getting out in the morning because I'm so comfy.

You need to lower the bed before getting in and out of it.  The owners manual may not be clear on this but it's very hard on the cogs and the machinery of the base if you are climbing into the bed while it's raised.  You also don't want big kids or dogs leaping on the bed while it's in the raised position.  And if you are having a "romantic encounter" (lucky you!) the bed should be flat then as well. 

It will come with a remote so you can raise and lower it.  Frankly, it doesn't matter if it's wired to the bed or not.  You'll be using it from the bed all the time so it really doesn't matter. 

Don't pay extra for massaging/vibrating options.  You won't use them.   And you can't use them while you are asleep because then the motor would run all night.  Very dangerous. 

If you have GERD I highly recommend an adjustable bed.   If you can get your doctor to say you need one you might get a little help from your insurance company.  I don't know where you live or what insurance you have so you'd have to check into this on your own.  But it's worth asking before you buy.

I also have GERD and while I do still have to take medication for it, it's been a whole lot better since I got the bed.  They are also great for people with back, hip and knee problems.

I think that's everything.  But feel free to ask.  If I can help, I'm happy to.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us