I was just asked about how to get the best"Black Friday" bargains. So I came up with the following 7 Do's and 4 Don'ts for Black Friday shopping.
1. Check the Ads and compare prices on Thursday. Do remember to include an online search for low prices.
2. Know what you want and where you expect to buy it before you leave home. This is a search and capture mission. Know what your target is and head straight for it!
3. Check product reviews before you leave home. There may be a reason that this particular model is so deeply discounted.
4. Know how much you expect to pay for the item. No reason for surprises.
5. Know when the doors open. Black Friday opening hours vary all over the place. Some are even starting on Thanksgiving. Read the ad, check online or call the store to know when your target item will be available at the sale price.
6. Get a gift receipt. You want to make sure that the recipient can return the gift if necessary. (you're not the only person shopping Black Friday - his sister Susan could be buying him the same item)
7. Only shop the deals. Don't get carried away with the excitement of the hunt. Bag your game and get out of the woods. (ok, analogy overload) Get your item and get out of the store.
1. Buy on impulse. A great price doesn't make a great bargain if you don't need the item.
2. Don't assume that the Black Friday price will be the lowest this holiday season. Retailers are under tremendous pressure. For some this holiday season is essential in surviving into next year. That could mean even deeper discounts later in the season.
3. Don't spend beyond your budget. No matter how good the deal is, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it.
4. Don't look at it as a contest. The person with the fullest cart is not the grand prize winner of Black Friday. They will not show up on YouTube or gain name recognition on Twitter.
Hope that you have a safe, sane and affordable Black Friday.
Keep on Stretching those Dollars!